Undeniable Chemistry

The next morning, Aaliyah headed out early for a meeting with her agent, Joanna Bauer. Joanna suggested they meet at a Jewish deli not far from Aaliyah's apartment and the synagogue where her nephew's bar mitzvah was being held, late that afternoon. Aaliyah was relieved. She dreaded the thought of heading back downtown.

After their meeting, she planned on heading home and finishing a couple more chapters of her latest book. No doubt, Joanna would want a progress report. Aaliyah loved Joanna, but she could be annoying at times, and Aaliyah always left their meetings feeling mentally drained.

Joanna was a middle-aged Jewish woman with a heart of gold. A native New Yorker, she treated Aaliyah more like a daughter then a client. There were some benefits to being so close to her agent. Joanna always fought for her when it came to issues with her publisher. On the downside, she felt obligated to introduce her to any available men she encountered.

"He's a dentist. He makes good money, and he owns his own home."

"Thank you, Joanna, but I'm really not interested."

"Not interested? He's perfect for you! What exactly are you looking for in a man, Liya?"

"I'm not looking, Joanna. I'm too focused on my work right now—which is what we should be talking about. I thought you had some news about the book."

"If my husband knew I was working on the Sabbath? Oy vey!" Joanna rolled her eyes and pulled out some papers from her cream-colored Prada bag.

"We're not working. Just two good friends having brunch." Aaliyah smiled.

"Call it what you want Liya, you're still getting billed for this." Joanna gave her that look, the one that made her look more like a librarian than a literary agent. Aaliyah couldn't help but laugh at her friend's candor.

"One day I'm going to find a nice young man for you Liya. You're twenty-three years old. The clock is ticking, and I'm sure your mother will thank me. She's so worried about you."

"And I appreciate you looking out for her Joanna but please...let's just stick to work right now."

Joanna sighed and adjusted her bifocals. Giving the papers a once-over, she began. "The publisher wants to change the cover."

"What? Kaitlyn worked so hard on it!"

"I know, I know. But you've gotta realize, you're not an indie author anymore, Aaliyah. The publisher has invested a lot of money in you and this book. They just want to ensure its success, and they feel the cover doesn't resonate well with your target audience."

"Fine, I'll tell her, but when she kicks me out of my apartment, I'm moving in with you."

"Oh, I don't think so honey. Besides, with this month's royalty check, you can afford to buy the building!"

Aaliyah laughed at Joanna's obvious exaggeration and took the statement. Her mouth practically dropped when she saw all the zeros. "Whoa."

"I know honey. You keep writing the way you do Aaliyah, and you'll be a very wealthy young woman."

******

As Aaliyah walked home, she dreaded the idea of telling Kaitlyn that her illustrations were scrapped. As much as she wanted to go against her publisher's wishes, Joanna was right. Kaitlyn would just have to understand. Besides, it wasn't as if she needed the money. Kaitlyn was a trust fund baby who liked to pretend she was a starving artist. Her father owned the building they lived in, and rented it to Aaliyah, below market value, as a favor to his daughter.