Chapter Six: Game of Thrones

"What do you think?" Aaliyah sighed as she stepped out of the bathroom wearing a low-cut bronze satin gown Kaitlyn loaned her.

"Whoa,". Ryan called, his mouth gaped open and his eyes lingering on the split that started mid-thigh and revealed her shapely legs.

"Close your mouth, babe." Kaitlyn teased. "You look beautiful, Liya. Nathaniel is going to love you in that dress."

"You don't think it's too much? It's just a dinner party."

"I've done dinner parties with Patrice Greyson. The woman doesn't know the meaning of the word casual. You look great, trust me."

"Ok." Aaliyah looked at her reflection in the mirror.

"What time is Nathaniel coming?"

"He's sending a car. He's going to meet me there."

Aaliyah could tell by the look on her friend's face that she wasn't keen on their arrangement.

"He'll be there."

"Are you sure? You know he wasn't too thrilled about you going. You think the guy was ashamed of you or something."

Kaitlyn's words hurt. Judging by the look of regret on her face, Aaliyah knew she didn't mean to put a damper on her night.

"It's going to be ok, Kat. You'll see." She laughed nervously as she glanced out the window and noticed the limo downstairs.

"I've gotta go. Wish me luck." She breathed as she collected her purse and keys.

"Just be careful, Liya. These people... they're different, you know?"

As she made her way to the limo, the silence that echoed in her mind was deafening. Suddenly, Nathaniel's absence seemed more like an omen than a coincidence, and she too began to fear what this night had in store for her.

*****

By the time they pulled in front of the home of Thaedyn and Patrice Greyson, Aaliyah's stomach had gone from occasional summer salts to absolute knots. Forcing a smile, she took the driver's hand and exited the limo. As she approached the steps of the opulent four-story stone townhome, she seemed to shrink at the sheer size of the rod iron and gold double doors. Above them, was a gold-crested family emblem that spoke volumes. Thaedyn and Patrice Greyson were wealthy, beyond Aaliyah's imagination, and they weren't ashamed to show it.

Nathaniel's home, while just as expensive, was modest, which made it easier for Aaliyah to feel at home, but this? This told her she was about to enter another realm.

When a middle-aged man with salt and pepper crew-cut hair opened the door to greet her, she felt the slightest bit of relief. While his look was a bit stoic for her taste, there was a warmth in his eyes.

"Maybe his father's not as bad as I thought." She sighed inwardly, but when he introduced himself as the butler, her hope dissipated.

"Aaliyah. I'm so glad you could make it." A familiar voice called from the foyer.

Patrice Greyson was beautiful in a gold sequins floor-length gown that reassured Aaliyah that she hadn't overdressed.

"Patrice, thank you for having me."

"It's my pleasure darling. You look breathtaking." She smiled as the slightest glint of life reflected in her blue eyes. "Where is Nathaniel?"

"He got held up at the office. He'll be here soon."

"Oh,". She breathed in disappointment. "Well. Come, let's introduce you to everyone."

When they entered the main parlor, Aaliyah gasped. She hadn't expected so many guests, twenty-five, at the least; all of them staring at her in amusement.