Choose Your Battles

The look on Thaedyn's face as they left him standing in the foyer, stunned by the fact that his son had bought the family home right from under him, was priceless. If Aaliyah hadn't been utterly and completely humiliated by Nate's actions, she might actually see the humor in this night.

As they got in the taxi and Nate proceeded to give the driver instructions to his home, Aaliyah corrected him.

"Actually. I want to go home. I'm kind of tired."

"Okay, we can...,".

"No. I want to be alone right now."

"Aaliyah?" Nate stared at her in disbelief. "Come on, it was just...,".

"Just what, Nate? Just the most humiliating moment of my life?"

"I wasn't going to let her belittle you like that!"

"You think she's the only person who tried to put me down because my family couldn't afford to pay for college? Please, Nate! Sometimes you are so out of touch with the real world!"

She jumped out of the taxi and started heading God knows where.

"I'm out of touch?" He followed her, slamming the car door as the driver pulled off.

"Yes! You live in this ivy tower and haven't a clue what the rest of us go through!"

"I live in an ivy tower? I live in an ivy tower? Well, at least I live, Liya! You have your head in a goddamn typewriter half of the time. It's a wonder you have a love life at all!"

Before Aaliyah could stop herself, her hand hit his cheek—hard, leaving a white-hot imprint on the side of his face.

Pivoting on the damn stilettos she borrowed from Kaitlyn, she almost lost her balance, but his strong hand steadied her.

"Please, Liya. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Pulling away from his grasp, she continued.

"Did you ever stop and think about how difficult tonight was for me? I-I'm an outsider, Nate. Do you know how hard it is, trying to fit in when everyone thinks you don't belong? I saw the looks on those people's faces tonight, and I endured their harsh stares—for you. And then you,...". She began to cry.

"Liya, baby. I'm sorry." He tried to pull her into his arms. "It was insensitive of me, but I...I can't help it. If someone tries to hurt you I...I go crazy. I thought...,".

"I know what you thought, Nate. And I appreciate you trying to defend me, but I can fight my own battles."

"I know you can." He sighed, running his hand through his thick dark hair. "I didn't mean what I said."

"I know you didn't." She wrapped her arms around her waist. "But you have to understand Nate. If you're going to be with me, you have to learn which battles are worth the fight."

Waving down a taxi, she left him by the side of the road. With every ounce of strength left inside her, she vowed not to look back.

She wasn't breaking up with him. She just needed a little time, and he needed to understand.

She wasn't one of his whores that he could boss around—even if that's what his family and everyone in that damn room thought of her after tonight.