Josson walks away.

Sir Hernias comes out from the door on the other side of the room. In his hands, he holds a bottle of Aegunic. Instantly, I understood what was at stake if I refused to speak up.

"I'll give you one chance," Josson declares to me. My head raises up. "Where are the rest of the sirens?"

I thought about that question long and hard. I didn't utter a word about my thoughts to anyone. Josson saw this defiance.

Josson walks behind my chair. It almost sends me into a panic to know I can't see him. "Your loyalty to them is inspiring," Josson praises me with an undertone of mockery. "Especially considering the way they treated you," Josson whispers into my ear. His voice and words are devilish and are meant to derive my conscience to admit what he wants. I can't say it doesn't entirely fail.

I frown as I remember my years in Maris. All the insulting, degrading, laughing, and sneering that I had learned to lock away. My mother, that encouraged her subjects to treat me this way. And Kahliteia, my sister that repeatedly said she loved me while filling my head with empty promises and insecurities.

Josson smiles when he sees my face of anguish. He knows he just opened a would that I couldn't easily cast aside; one he could use to his advantage.

"If I were you, Aelila, I wouldn't think twice," Josson explains, nudging my shoulder. "I'd save myself."

This Prince was trying to get into my head, find my weaknesses and crush them right in front of me until the mental pain was too much to bear. I knew he would continue until I spoke until I feed him something useful. Nonetheless, I knew myself too well to know I wouldn't speak on my misery. I'd bottle it is up, just like everything else until it began to cripple me. Only then would I even consider speaking.

When I don't respond, he shrugs. "I'd hate to hurt such a lovely face but," Josson sighs, "I guess we'll both have to live with the consequences of your choices."

Josson waves a hand at Sir Hernias who's standing patiently in the corner. When he sees Josson's signal, the lunatic smirks and climbs the steps leading up to the tank. I watch as the child swims around the tank anxiously, secluding herself to the furthest part of the enclosure, pure terror written across her face.

The poor thing knows what's coming. I can't decide if that makes the situation better or worse.

The child glares at me now, not out of malice, but because she relies on me to save her. This siren expects her Princess to rescue her from the promise of certain death.

Her or them, I ponder.

Her or them.

I feel my eyes water as I stare at her, my face clearly troubled by the dark pang of decisions they had placed in front of me. I don't move a muscle when I see Sir Hernias step up to the tank. Slowly, he starts to pour the Aegunic into the water and it gradually starts to color it green. The child shifts violently, pounding on the glass with her fist to try and reach my attention.

Mercy, please have mercy. The cries in her eyes are too much bare. Although I've seen it before on a human, I never would have expected a siren to wield the same expression.

Instinctively, I have to turn my head away. Josson shakes his head in disapproval, grabs my cheeks, and forces me to watch her suffer.

"It's not too late," Josson explains, and my hazel eyes immediately look to him. "Your choice," is all he whispers before bringing my attention back to the child in the tank.

The child squirms around the left side of the container. She presses her small body up towards the glass, hoping with all her heart it could bide her a few more moments of life.