16

"A ball?" I ask, a mixture of confusion and rage, "To celebrate the King's victory?"

We arrived back at the castle late in the morning. The court was tired and slightly overwhelmed but we still managed to reoccupy Lyonhall Castle in time for the first light of the morning.

Cliara nods taking back the invitation, "Yes, and we're all invited."

I found this all disconcerting. The King was throwing a party -a lavish ball- to celebrate his recent attack on the sirens. Would he always be like this? Throwing balls to idolize the death of not just his enemies, but innocent people?

Cliara sees my expression and speaks upon it, "Don't worry," she reassures me but it's not about the reason that's in my head, "The ball won't be held for a few more weeks. We'll have time to prepare."

"And I'm obligated to go to this?"

"You don't want to?" Cliara asks me and I decide to be honest. I shake my head. "Come on, Lianna," she says as she tips her head slightly, "It would be a lot of fun."

"I don't think so."

"How could you know if you've never attended one?" She doesn't even give me time to answer. "Exactly. You don't."

Like everyone else here, they didn't understand, they didn't see the bigger picture lurking under the surface. It wasn't about fun or a lack of experience, but the reason the ball was being held in the first place. I know humans loathe sirens, but how could they not have the common sense to see they were rejoicing for death and drowning with joy in the fact that they now had the power to wipe out a race. How could they not see the problem with that despite their hatred?

Sure, my mother and her subjects did the same thing to them, but I was so sure someone from the human world would be the bigger person. But it seems that war has clouded people's views beyond what I'd imagined, and eventually the future would suffer from it.

The ball was only the first party, but what would follow after? What kind of outrageous holidays and celebrations would take place in honor of their deaths?

No, instead I needed to do something quickly. I needed to convince someone to help me achieve my main goal and destroy the Aegunic. I needed to talk to Nik, maybe even persuade him to assist me without raising suspicion around court.

"Fine," I respond to Cliara, "I'll go."

That same day I went for training and approached Nik with the topic. The prospect threw him off completely.

He sends the sword in the air and attempts to hit the top of me, but I hit his weapon back with the same force. "You want to attempt to stop my father?" He asks me again for clarification.

I realized I had just entered a dangerous territory, and I needed to be careful if I was going to make it through unscathed. "Yes," I answer, there was no point in lying.

I notice he's caught off guard and go for his side. Like always, he catches me and defends himself, sending my sword ricocheting towards me. I struggle to regain control.

"My father? The King?" He asks again. I think he's shocked I even asked.

I repeat myself, "Yes, why is that so hard to understand?"

Suddenly, he lowers his sword and I do the same. "No, I understand perfectly," he pauses, "It's a matter of what happens afterwards."

"You mean the consequences," I corrected him. "You're the Prince, I'm sure it wouldn't be too harsh."

He nods his head and makes an mhm sound. "And what about you?"

I shrug my shoulders, "Well then we'll just have to be careful about it. Leave no traces behind."