5

Other than empathy, ignorance was something else I had for humans. Despite basic things, I didn't know one thing about the land-walkers customs, culture, or etiquette. I knew when I arrived on their shore they'd instantly see me for the siren I am. Going to land would be like suicide.

I had begged my mother to extend my time underwater before she sent me forth. I knew, with time, I'd be able to educate myself on the land walkers. To my surprise, she was happy to oblige when I asked. Not because she cares about my safety, but because soon without me, she'd be ruling a kingdom of siren bones.

She gave me a month to train myself on humans and their behavior. My mother had provided only the books and expected me to provide the mind to understand it all. Now, I stared blankly at the stacks of books scattered across my desk as I tried to determine where to start.

My fingers skimmed over some of the books piled before me as I took note of their feeling and texture. Quickly, I noticed some of the books were gravely marked with age and damage. On them, I realized the covers were dented, starting to tear, and had scratches aligning them. Picking up the books damaged with age, I set them to the side. The old customs from years ago would be of no use to me now.

After they were split up, my hand picked up a book from the shortened pile and I sat back in the chair at my desk; trying to relax.

In my chair, I let go of my shoulders and lower body as I slouched in the comfort of my seat. Flipping the pages, I glanced over the book's subtitles and chapters as I tried to distinguish what would be more useful to me. When my eyes land on a page they stay there; consuming the facts exposed to me by siren scholars.

My interest only grew when I found I was reading records of current noble houses and the royal family. I continued to read on.

House Bernanos: the current royal family of Bavia. That fact was one of the few my mother made sure I knew. What I didn't know was King James is without a Queen. Queen Myra Bernanos is briefly mentioned throughout her family's section before the paragraph ends with her death. While most Queens recorded are known for their achievements in life, Queen Myra seems to only be known for eventually dying.

"Lost at sea; presumably death by sirens," The records read.

My mind seemed to wonder as I thought more about why Myra wasn't mentioned more in her records. My mother, being a very organized, fastidious person, kept detailed reports on things she had ordered documented. Especially, if it was her enemy. Why wouldn't she do the same for the late Queen?

Soon, I had to shrug the thoughts of the woman off; Queen Myra Bernanos is not why I'm studying the nobles. With a shake from my own head, I closed the pages on house Bernanos and flipped through the upcoming noble houses.

On land, being apart of House Corearien granted you no power or station. Instead, if I were to go on land using my last name, I'd be killed immediately. Of course, sirens don't know for sure the knowledge humans might have on the siren royal family but unlike my kind, I have learned not to underestimate them.

I knew to be accepted I'd have to change the last name "Corearien" bound me to. I needed to enter their world with a new identity, a new name.

To be accepted into the castle's court as a noble, I would need to forge a fake family heritage. I'm not one for imposters, but with little help from higher authorities and to be able to get closer to the King, faking a noble heritage was one of the only ideas I had. The only problem? I didn't have a clue where to start; I'm not one for deception.

A deep sign fueled by frustration escapes my lips before my head meets my desk to rest. Within those few moments, I feel relief when I realize the time I have on my hands. The time that will flow away like the waves of the sea.