18

The last leaming rays of sun shine through the glass windows of Valora's room. It catches the gems and decorations sewn into her ballgown perfectly. The light makes the jewels protrude to any eye, but I can barely find the sense to pay attention to the Princess.

These days, I'm worried about everything. First comes the mission at hand and how Nik and I are going to concoct a solution, then Valora's threat and how she may use this event to her advantage, and then last comes Eyva's warning and all its dreadful glory.

Eyva stands in the corner of the room with a dangerous look in her eyes. Her brown eyes flicker against the backlash of the sun on the jewels, making her eyes glisten with streaks of purple. She glances at me, but I don't look away. I want to try to see if I can figure her out. Hopefully, read her eyes to find the actual meaning to her vague warning.

We're staring at each other for a few seconds, seconds before Valora calls Eyva to her side to fix her hair. I've been here for thirty minutes, waiting for a command so I could finish and be done with it, but Valora hasn't spoken a word to me. The only thing I've gotten is sudden glances fueled by utter resentment. I suppose I deserve it.

The other girls and Eyva are done getting the Princess ready in no time. For this occasion Valora has abandoned the blue, replacing it with a bright purple gown. It's an off-shoulder dress with puffed-up plum sleeves. The front bodice is embroidered with jewels and gold-stringed designs that swirl in everything direction but don't create a mess. Instead, it creates a royal crest, the Lavon family crest. It's nice to know she won't abandon her family, even in Bavia where she'll soon enter another.

I'm still in the corner when she steps off her gilded platform and makes her way straight past me and to the door. The other ladies follow suit behind her like always, but I don't join their group. Instead, I curtsy to her as she passes. I can almost feel Valora's glare weigh me down like a brick. Although my eyes are down, I can still see and feel the monstrous tension.

Within seconds, Valora is out the door with the others and I'm left to the deserted room. I know the worst has yet to pass, but for some reason I find myself catching my breath. I pang of relief passing through me.

~

Cliara led me through the halls strapped with carpet and up to the glorious ballroom doors. The guards upon us opened them, revealing the ballroom and all its specular eminence.

Night had beseeched the castle, flooding the ballroom and everything in it, with its moonlight against the bright candles. The contrast together makes the room gleam as I've seen before. Everywhere I turn, everywhere I look, there's gold. Pure gold. There's gold railings and vases, candle holders and platters. It never occurred to me how rich House Bernanos really was. If I didn't know before, I and everyone else, certainly knew now.

The announcer standing beside the door declares me and Cliara's by our titles and last names. Cliara goes first, proudly looking over the rest of the ballroom as she revels in her title. Without me, she makes her way down the marble stairwell and into the swarm of nobles and courtiers.

Peering down at the crowd, I can't spot any of the royals. It's surprising to me since Valora was ready well before I was. If she wasn't here, and I couldn't spot the King or his sons anywhere, where were they?

I notice I'm wasting time and I line of people have cluttered behind me, practically pushing me to walk down the stairs so they can have their moment in the spotlight. I make no argument and listen, gliding down the steps with the olive gown trailing behind me.

By now, Cliara has found her brother in the crowd and stands by him. With nowhere to go and Nikoloas nowhere in sight, my only option is to accompany the twins.