20

I wake up again with my head on the stone floor, curled up in a ball for warmth. My eyes are open but I see nothing. The candle is gone, it has burnt and melted away and now it sits in a clump of wax on the floor. I no longer have light, and I can't see a thing.

The chains rattle as I attempt to stand up, but I only bring myself to my knees. The number forty-four rings in my mind as I consider the last day completely wasted. I notice the little window is closed shut.

By now, the Aegunic has passed out of the air, engulfed by the carbon dioxide I had been breathing out all night. The air is heavy and humid, and I had woken up in a sweat greeted by almost unbreathable air. I knew I'd suffocate here if I didn't get the window opened.

I knew I couldn't open the slot myself since the chains prohibited me from even drawing close to the door. I'd have to get the attention of someone else on the other side. I couldn't sing, so instead, I screamed. Screamed with all the might my vocal cords proclaimed.

At first, it hurt. It seemed to tear at my throat and diaphragm, but the desire to breath was overwhelming and easy to obey.

The guard from the day before responds to my pleas. He comes rushing down the stone hallways, angry and eager to shut me up. "What do you want, siren wrench?" he curses at me when he opens the window, enraged annoyance burning in his voice.

When the window is open, I stop. Savoring the fresh breath of air as it gushes in. I don't say anything else. Not even to offer my gratitude.

The guard rolls his eyes at me but proceeds to tell me what's going on. "The Prince is coming to see you today," he informs me. Despite my thoughts earlier, my heart leaped for joy. "You've created quite a stir, girl."

I knew it wouldn't be who I thought, but I still had to take the chance and ask anyways. "Which prince?"

He smirks, a chuckle following soon after, "Which one do you think?" He asks me and turns away from the door, scurrying down the hall.

I wanted it to be Nik. I wanted him to storm in here and do something. Still, I knew he wouldn't. I knew he wasn't coming anywhere near me. Instead, the only other option could be Josson. From that information alone, I knew I had to brace myself for this encounter. Prepare answers, prepare lies to persuade them, just like I'd talk my way out of situations with my mother.

The same guard comes back from down the hall, a plate of food and water in hand.

He cracks the door open, and a ray of candlelight shines through. It's almost too bright for me to bear. I hurried to the door on my knees, the chains following me behind like snakes. The guard flinches as he places the food and cup down, even though the chains restrain me to get too close.

It goes down with a thud and he shuffles to close and re-lock the door. Glaring at me through the slot, he stiffens and commands me. "Eat," he orders before throwing a curse my way I didn't understand.

I could have used the water as a weapon, but I couldn't resist my urge to drink. My thirst was just as strong as my hunger and it needed something to submerge it after screaming. I gulped it down instantly, using some of it to wash my hands and refresh my face. 

I took my hair out of the bun too, fearing it would become matted if I didn't give it at least some proper care. I use my fingers as a comb, using my nails to untangle the knots that had begun to form while in the style. Just as I remember, my hair reaches just right past my waist and mimicked the sway of the waves. I decide to leave it down despite how annoying it could be.

I studied the food although hunger was the only thing that echoed in my mind. They could have poisoned it, put more of the Aegunic in it to cause me to sleep or weaken me even more, ensuring I wouldn't do anything for my audience with the Prince.