15

I've never imagined what traveling on a ship would be like, but the feeling is almost a close second to swimming in the sea below it.

Ocean currents sway the ship slowly back and forth. For any human, the rocking and shaking of the deck are enough to make anyone ill, but for me, it's a calling, a reminder of home. The brustling breeze captures me in a chilly embrace, almost pushing me closer to the edge just to gaze at the saltwater elegance. Taking a deep breath, I can feel the salt in the air pierce my nostrils. I don't complain in the slightest. I feel at home.

My eyes scan the waves as the deep blue seas roar with a special kind of fury I've never seen before. It's almost as if the ocean knows what's coming for her citizens. As if the goddess of the seas herself has been watching me fail time and time again and has sent her waters -furious and burning with disappointment- to torment me.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. After all, I had two final days to do something, anything, and I did nothing. I'm not sure if it was out of fear for myself, my own selfishness, or a lack of confidence, but either way, none of them was a valid excuse to do absolutely nothing.

The ocean knew that perhaps even my mother knew that, and they'd scorn me for it.

My hands graze the wooden rails of the ship, feeling the smooth texture and icy air run through my fingers. The ship is a marvel in itself. With large sheet-like sails, a broad frame, stunning markings, and a grand deck, it's no wonder this ship belongs to royalty.

Most of the nobles left the court this morning with packed bags and huge grins on their faces. All of them were eager to see the demise of their enemies, each of them unaware they were traveling with one of them. Among them, the people I thought were my friends boarded this ship with jolly faces while I had to mask my own pain with a forged smile.

The cruise was split up into three separate ships since not just a single vessel could house the people attending. Each of them is equipped to do the damage which makes my chances of success even slimmer.

The first vessel houses the royals as well as other close and prominent noble families. Cliara and Galien got to board this one, not only because of their impending friendship to the Prince, but also due to their father, Edvin Freye, and his own loyalty to the King.

I'm thankful for Valora's offer. Without the position, I wouldn't have been able to accompany the royals. House Northwell just hasn't risen to its former glory yet. Of course, traveling in service to someone else isn't always the ideal way, but it'll at least allow me to understand who I'm dealing with head-on.

At this moment I'm alone on the deck. Forced to fight my own mental battles in myself and wait for the dreaded moment. It was only a couple of hours away, and I had no idea how I'd save my people.

We'd be traveling far into the sea, into open waters. We could be sailing upon cities, whole towns, and villages. Anyone could be caught in the crossfire. And they'd clap. They'd all clap and cheer for their deaths. Completely ignoring the lives they were destroying, the wounds they were creating, the children and families they'd be scarring.

All I could do was hope we'd be anchoring nowhere close to them. With any luck, we might even approach unhabituated waters. And if we didn't, I pray I have the stomach to swallow the horror.

~

The evening advances on us sooner than I thought it would.

Moonlight attempts to replace the sun's rays, but even with the help of the stars, it can't compare to the light and warmth of the sun. For the people on board, candles replace the darkness, lighting up the cabins and halls of the ship with flicks of perfect yellows.