Remembering her strange diary, he wondered if she was trying to keep track of these dreams. This would explain the random notes that didn't make much sense to him when he flipped through the neatly, handwritten pages.

At this very moment, Cate appeared vulnerable and childlike. As he looked at her, his hand instinctively moved forward, wanting to push away a strand of hair that covered her pale cheek and, thereby,  disturbed his view. But he stopped himself midway.

This isn't right.

He knew he shouldn't let himself get attached to her. Their worlds couldn't be further apart and this deal was going to be over in only two months. Besides, he clearly wasn't boyfriend material. As someone who had been okay with women seducing him for his position and not because of love for the longest time, pretending to be in a serious relationship already seemed tiresome enough to him.

However, watching Jon and Sora tonight, for the first time ever he felt that, perhaps, his life was superficial and even lacking compared to theirs. He had ridiculed their love before, but the way they cared for each other and how they shared their burdens made him look at his life choices in a new light.

Who would have taken care of me if I would have gotten shot like the attacker originally had planned?

What will I leave behind once I die?

How would it be to have someone who actually loves me for who I am and not for the wealth and power I possess?

He heard a soft snore coming from Cate as she stirred in her sleep which almost made him chuckle. Here he was, rethinking his life choices while the little drunk was even snoring now.  

However, he had no time to think about it for longer as her hand landed on his own that was resting beside her on the sheet. His body stiffened and his heartbeat increased as he worried about her waking up. But thankfully she didn't and he began to relax again.

While he felt the warmth of her skin against his a sense of peace and tiredness overcame him. He closed his eyelids just to see a chocolate brown pair of eyes stare right back at him.

Admittedly, since Cate had crossed his path, he occasionally found himself reminiscing the past. Memories he had believed to forever be buried in the depth of his consciousness slowly started to emerge again...

He saw a fearless little girl who helped him treat his wounds and who had chased him through the whole kitchen with her floury little hands, all because he wilfully declined to help their housemaid bake cranberry cookies for Christmas even though his mother had wanted to eat some. He remembered them playing hide and seek together, unintentionally getting stuck in a wall cabinet while having to listen to the serious conversation their fathers were having about his mother's quickly degenerating health and how she had tightly held his hand and lent him her teddy bear for comfort - not that he had accepted to take it. And then, one day, her whole family had vanished from his life, overnight and without a trace. They were never to be spoken about again.

Although the little girl's character was totally different from Cate who seemed to have more self-confidence issues than he had fingers on his hands, some things about them were awfully similar - so similar that even almost twenty years of time couldn't make him forget it.

There were things that felt the same. The way they acted around him... Both of them had never easily given in to him. They had never cared for titles or money. Instead, they had just treated him like any other human being. It was weird, interesting and refreshing at the same time, almost as if he was reliving the past. If he was being completely honest, he missed a woman like that in his life, a woman who wasn't boring and easy to calculate.

Dray knew perfectly well that he should stay away from Cate; he should only stick to business. But after tonight's events, something in him had changed. Unexpected to even himself, he was craving for something more and he wanted to find out if Cate could be the one to give it to him.

After a long while, he pulled out his hand from beneath her's with cautiousness. He got off her bed without a sound before carefully placing the blanket over her filigree body. Then he disappeared from the room as if he had never been there in the first place.

Work was waiting for him and, judging by the latest incident, it wasn't going to be pretty.

___________________

Dear Mobsters,

I hope this chapter provided a little more insight into how Dray's mind works. What did you think of the chapter?

If you liked it, please give the chapter a vote, comment and share! It's very much appreciated! <3

We're close to 5,4K reads and 830 votes now. I only joined Wattpad less than three months ago and I can't believe how far MSMB has come with your help already! Thank you so, so much!

Love,
AK

PS: MSMB has been reviewed by silver00960 's review book.
The review starts with "I have just one word to describe this book: WOW!" Check out her book if you want to read the rest of it, too! =)

Let's chat!

Topic: Are you the type to play it safe by keeping people at a distance or to you jump right into things, no matter the consequences - because you only live once?

As always, I'm curious to know your thoughts!