(21) Eighteen, engaged and raising a baby!

Eighteen, engaged and raising a baby!

Chapter 21

Stephanie’s POV

“Who has him?” Clive asked in a sleepy voice.

“Nick, he told me so in the hospital” I replied remembering his words. I was still in a coma at that time and he probably didn’t know that I could hear him.

“Nick?” Clive asked in confusion obviously not expecting my answer.

“Yes, Nick! We’ve got to go find him!” I half yelled jumping up from the bed causing my bruised ribs to ache in my chest.

“Ok, let’s go then” Clive said getting up from the bed. He went to the bathroom quickly to brush his teeth and splash some water on his face and then we left.

Once we were inside Clive’s car he started it up and headed in Nick and parent’s houses direction.

“What did he say to you?” Clive asked as we drove.

“I can’t remember it too clearly but something about him being the one who had taken Nathan and that we would never get him back.

“I don’t get it, why would he do that?” Clive questioned as we pulled into the street where Nick’s house was.

“He thought that if we didn’t have Nathan that we would break up and I would go running to him, he is still in love with me” I answered sadly. I know it’s not my fault that he kidnapped Nathan, he is obviously very disturbed but I couldn’t help but feel guilty for ever giving him hope that we could be together. It was a long time ago but I did run to him when Clive dumped me and he probably figured that it would happen again. He was very wrong. My love for Clive was stronger now more than ever. We both hurt over Nathan being gone but we did it together.

Clive brought the car to a stop a few houses from Nick’s and turned to me.

“What do we do now?” He asked nervously.

“I don’t know, I don’t think that he would be keeping Nathan in the house, maybe we should just watch and see if he goes somewhere” I answered not really knowing what to do now myself.

“Ok, we’ll wait until he leaves and then we will follow him and see where he goes. Maybe he’ll lead us straight to Nathan” Clive replied slipping back in his seat but keeping his eyes focused on Nick’s house. I slipped my hand in his causing the edge of his lip to turn up into a smile.

By the time that Nick finally left the house it was after ten at night. We followed him making sure to keep a good distance between our cars. We didn’t want him to see us and realize that we knew something, if he did he would go somewhere else and we might not ever find Nathan.

He drove around in circles for a while and then eventually made his way out of the city and onto a long road. I had no idea where we were going and I started getting scared as we drove along the long dark road. There were no street lights and except for our cars it looked completely abandoned. Clive had to switch off our headlights so that Nick wouldn’t see us which meant we were driving in complete darkness.

“Maybe we should call the cops” I suggested, my heart was racing in my chest from the nerves and I could swear I was starting to shake.

“Let’s just see where he goes first, if he stops somewhere we can phone them” Clive replied keeping his eyes focused on the two red lights of Nick’s car in the distance.

We must have driven for at least another ten minutes when we saw Nicks car turn off the road. Clive sped up a bit not wanting to lose him and caught up to the gravel road where he had turned quickly. We turned onto it slowing down again and kept an eye out for his car. We really didn’t want him to see us now that we were so close.

There were trees and bushes surrounding both sides of the road so when we saw a clearing up ahead Clive slowed down even more. He brought the car to a stop at the entrance of the clearing and in the distance we saw an old abandoned house.  Next to it stood Nick’s car letting us know that we were at the right place.

“I think now is a good time to phone the cops” I stated taking my cell phone out of my pocket. Clive nodded his head in agreement as he peered out of the window.

“Clive, we’ve got a problem!” I whispered, my voice shaking with fear.

“What?” Clive asked turning his attention to me.

“There’s no signal” I replied holding the phone out to him.

The expression on his face confirmed my suspicion that we were in deep trouble. We stared at each other for a second and then we heard something that made us both jump in our seats.