xv. Cruel Nineteenth

TWENTY-FIVE CRUEL NINETEENTH

(HER SPINDLE WHEEL)

(THE DAY OF)

       BRIAR COMES TO, AND FINDS she's locked in the cellar of some house. She quickly figures that it must be the Malfoys' mansion, considering Bellatrix's cackle, that rings from upstairs to the underground prison. She doesn't know what to do with herself. Partly she's in shock. When she woke up this morning, not once did she think maybe I'll get kidnapped by Death Eaters today! Didn't even cross her mind... And yet here she is... Kidnapped by Death Eaters... How fucking strange...?

       And then she remembers the vision. Harry saying that Sirius is in danger, and that she was going to be in danger, too. She is in danger, what is she saying? She's trapped in the Malfoys' fucking dungeon, because apparently there are families that blue-blooded to have a little jail in their cellar... Fucking rich people, Briar thinks, as she gets to her feet. They didn't take the red scrunchie from her wrist — she doesn't know why they would, but she's glad she still has it — and she puts her hair into a ponytail. Time to sort this, Briar.

       She isn't going to stay here long enough, to get tortured, or anything like that. She can hear voices upstairs, so she knows she's got to be careful. She closes her eyes and attempts Apparating, knowing full-well they'll be a spell blocking it — and, funnily enough, there is, one that creates a wind, knocking her off her feet. She falls to the floor, scraping her knees, her palms, her cheek. Lovely.

       Briar sits up. Right, OK, so, what can I do? She can figure out how the open the door. Maybe then, she'll be able to run upstairs, or climb out of the cellar window opposite the cell she's in, and Apparate from there. And if that doesn't work, she'll make a run for it until it's safe. Or... she could... wait until they come back down, and get their wand — but that seems highly unlikely, considering Briar's only quick on her feet when her inner eye's helping her out, and it's still deadly quiet. It didn't even warn her about the Death Eaters surrounding her in Diagon Alley, it's not working, not because of this vision...