xiv. Oh No, Oh No, Oh--!

TWENTY-FOUR OH NO, OH NO, OH—!

(10 DAYS BEFORE)

       BRIAR'S HEART DROPS WHEN the countdown gets to ten, knowing fully that she's at the end now. Today is the ninth of June. Her heart jumped when she woke up and it was June, even though she had spent all of May dreading it, knowing she was almost at the fatal month. Every day as she writes the date down in her schoolbooks, she stares at it a little longer than usual, the countdown a constant thought in her head. It used to be it's in two hundred days, it's fine, but now, it's ten days. Almost single digits. She's almost there... Whatever there entails...

       She wants to grab a crystal ball and stare and hope she can have the vision now, but she's scared. It's as if her mind knows, that something bad is going to be predicted. What is she saying? Her mind does know, it's known for almost a year, it just doesn't want to tell her... Not until the nineteenth... But what makes the nineteenth so fucking special?

       By this point, Fred and George have left school, giving the new Defence teacher Umbridge one final mess to clean up. Briar's glad she wasn't at Hogwarts for any of that... She's glad she got to have a break from the endless hysteria that comes with being in Gryffindor. She loves her old house, she does, but she loves Beauxbatons more — or, at least, she loves the Beauxbatons version of herself, a lot more than Gryffindor.

       Because at Beauxbatons, Briar gets to help others. She wants to become a Healer now, she knows this because of the fact that she's been able to help out at her school's hospital wing, help out with the first years finding their feet, and she knows by now, that she wants to help others. The werewolf thing isn't an issue to her, or at least as much as it used to, because she knows now, that she's got the best support system in the world. But other people like her, they don't have that. And Briar wants to help them get it.