o. Nothing But Static

PROLOGUE NOTHING BUT STATIC

( JULY, '93 )

       THE LATE JULY WEATHER has been broken, hot sunshine exchanged for thunder and rainclouds, the sky a dark blue the whole afternoon. It isn't warm anymore, but instead, window panes rattle with the force of the rain, radio stations turning into nothing but static. Countryside lanes, the sort barely graced by cars but rather, muggles walking their dogs, reek of rain, the thick scent lingering in the air. It's the sort of weather that keeps you locked inside, not knowing what to do, instead wasting the time watching the thunder, the lightning... Blink, and you would've missed the girl with dirty blonde hair run out of the village, her face down.

       She finds herself sitting in a field underneath a tree, a bench placed for dog-walkers wanting to sit for a minute. Her eyes are glassed over, tears on her face mixed with rain that hit her whilst she was getting away from her family.

       The same words rattle around in her brain: "You're going to Beauxbatons next year, whether you like it or not." Part of her is still hopeful, that she'll manage to talk her way back into Hogwarts, that she'll convince Dumbledore that she desperately wants to stay at that school, that she'll even try and get the twins to stop their mischief if it means she can stay. But another part of her knows that there's no use trying. Her grandfather's word is final.

       She goes through the past few weeks, trying to think if she did anything out of line, but then she thinks, if she had done something so awful that her grandparents are punishing her by making her move schools, surely, she'd remember? All she can think of is her argument with her brother, over the letter they got from their dad, a man they haven't seen since their mum died, but her grandparents don't know about that. They kept it quiet, her and her brother, knowing that their grandparents would be fuming if they found out they were even speaking about him... And, besides. The day they had that argument, their grandfather was too invested in his own argument with Fenrir Greyback — who the Ministry managed to catch for a whole hour, and within those sixty minutes, Barty Crouch Sr. managed to severely piss him off — to overhear Briar and Livvy whispering furiously at each other.