xii. Soft to be Strong

TWELVE SOFT TO BE STRONG

(CROUCH CLAIMS)

       IT TAKES ALL BUT FIVE MINUTES for Briar to find out about her grandfather — two girls mention it as they walk past her, the two of them theorizing what could've killed him. Briar's brows furrow, and she hears someone else say it. Crouch is dead. Her grandpa was found near the lake, torn apart, on the same night she turns into a monster... Things add up in her head without even thinking twice, and Briar can feel her heart tearing apart, as painful as what she did to her poor grandfather... She killed him, she killed him...

       Briar doesn't know what to do with herself. She's in a state of shock. Everything was falling apart last night, sure, but she didn't expect this to happen, too... She didn't expect to kill her own grandfather, the man that raised her. She can't deny it now, can she? She truly is a monster.

       Someone walks past, and Briar hears them go, "Oh, that's his granddaughter — he was murdered last night." And Briar feels sick to her stomach. She didn't murder him, she killed him. Murder makes it sound as if a human did this. And a human didn't do this. A monster did this. Briar Crouch is a monster...

       She starts to walk back to the carriage. She doesn't know what to do. Part of her wants to drop out school this instant. Part of her wishes she had gotten killed last night, maybe a wizard spotted the werewolf in the Shrieking Shack and decided to put it down. She just wishes she could go back and change this. And she knows that she can't, but she doesn't know what else to do. She killed her grandpa. She tore apart her own grandfather.

       Briar turns the corner, into the corridor with the archway leading into the grounds, to the carriage. There are less people around, since she's further away from the hall — which makes it more painful, when she turns the corner and sees the boy she used to be friends with. But not anymore...