xix. Briar

NINETEEN BRIAR

NINETEEN BRIAR

(HER SPINDLE WHEEL...?)

       BRIAR. FORGET THE SURNAME, the one she was born with and the one she was forced into. Forget all of that, all of the family difficulties, everything other than this — Briar, the Seer, the werewolf, the golden girl.

       The thing is, when she's talked about — and people talk about her, you don't rock up to your old school without people talking... you don't live life like Briar without people talking, really — it's never with a surname attached, is it? It's only Briar. You know who the person's talking about. There's no other Briar. Sure, it's partly to do with the uncommon name, but still. There's no other person quite like Briar.

       Most of the school view her as the same golden girl as her grandpa did, as her dad does, as her brother, her godfather — even her boyfriend looks at her as if there's nothing wrong with her. Everyone seems to be under a spell she never meant to cast, a spell that just happened, sometime between the day her freckles blossomed and her hair became a light honey blonde and her smile made her look as if nothing could disrupt her charm.

       Briar, the Seer, the werewolf...

       ... The person who's figured out that Barty Crouch is posing as Mad-Eye Moody, she realises, after the spell of the full moon was forced to end. And now she has it. She knows. But what can she do with it, since he's already threatened her and her loved ones' lives?

       IT'S A WARM DAY IN MARCH when Harry finally manages to speak to Holly — or, at least, for him, it's finally, for Holly, it's for fuck's sakes, if only Crabbe moved a little quicker! Today's a special day, because today marks two a month since they last spoke... Also a month since Holly last spoke to her mother, who ran her fingers through Holly's hair as she explained the plan, and Holly's part in it, and Holly had stood up, shook her head, and said, "I don't like this, Mother."