vi. In Bloom

SIX IN BLOOM

       BRIAR — LIKE A LOT OF other teenagers, wizard or not — doesn't see the start of January as a new year, but rather, the start of September, when school's back in session. A new school year for Briar is cathartic: sure, she's the same person, no resolution will change that, but a new school year brings a new mind set. This year it's, let's get on with it, and let's get good grades. She doesn't know if she'll do pranks, or at least, as much. What's the point? She lives with her dad. There's no point in sending her grandpa a message... He already does that, every single day. His letters trying to guilt Briar into going back to him have been thrown straight into the bin, the second that they show up.

       The thing is this — her grandpa knows that once Livvy's made his mind up, there's no point trying to sway him. Once Livvy learnt about the full truth, that was it, he's never speaking to his grandpa again. Briar, on the other hand...

       Well, Briar always wishes that everything could work out fine and that people don't mean to be nasty. It's easy to guilt her. She wants everyone to be happy, which just isn't possible. She's gone three weeks without seeing her grandpa — two without speaking, considering for the first week she read the letters before Livvy took them off her — and already she's having to remind herself that he isn't a good person. It's ridiculous. She knows he's a bad man, she's spent the last year resenting him for his shitty actions, and yet she still feels guilty when Livvy gets rid of the letters, before Briar can even rise to take the envelope off of him.

       She thinks some of Livvy's newfound protectiveness comes from the fact that he found out about Briar's secret, when he walked into Briar's room on the night they left for their dad's, and he said, "Dad's all right then, isn't he?"

       Briar nods, smiling softly. "I didn't know how you'd react," she tells him. "I would've introduced you two, I just... I didn't think you were interested."