xx. Change of Plan

TWENTY CHANGE OF PLAN

       BRIAR'S RUNNING ON FUMES as she bolts through the hallways of her old school, praying her inner eye will clear up and find Cedric, before she wastes all of her energy running aimlessly. She feels faint, she knows she feels faint, she always does after visions, but she can't stop. She is not resting until she knows her friend is safe. He is not getting hurt.

       She spots Mia, who's walking out a classroom, holding a piece of parchment with her name on it. Mia looks at Briar, who skids to a halt, and her eyebrows furrow as she looks at her. "Are you all right, Briar?" says Mia, concerned.

       "Have you seen Cedric?" asks Briar.

       Mia looks confused.

       "Um, not since breakfast... I think he's doing some last-minute practice," says Mia. Briar nods, and she frowns to herself. Her inner eye still isn't clearing up, it's still too worn out from the last vision. But she needs to find him. And she knows she doesn't have long — if she doesn't do it soon, she's going to faint, and then what? She won't wake up until the tournament's over, or until it's started, and then there's no point to all of this.

       ... But there is a point to this. There will be, when Briar finds Cedric.

       "Is something wrong?" says Mia, uneasily. "You're worrying me..."

       Briar looks across at her, at the girl a year younger than her, who's reaching her hand out, wanting to comfort her. The concern across her face reminds Briar of Sirius, but the innocent nervousness doesn't.

       Bless her. Briar likes Mia, sure, and part of Briar wants to look out for her, partly because she's friends with Cedric, partly because she's her godfather's kid, partly because she's a year younger, and she's been through more than Briar could even imagine. For a second Briar thinks about asking Mia to help, but quickly she refuses to entertain that thought... But then she feels even dizzier, and she knows she doesn't have much time until she collapses, and she thinks, I've got to try.