xv. A Christmas Carol

FIFTEEN A CHRISTMAS CAROL

       THE CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS ARE fast approaching, when Maxime stops Briar before she leaves the carriage's small classroom, telling her that she needs to speak to Professor Moody about something. Maxime alludes to it being about her grandfather, but Briar gets it, Maxime wants to be careful about what she says, in case she upsets Briar about it. Briar's fine, if she's being honest; she thinks it's helped, having her friends know why she was upset at first, because now she can understand that a lot of her grief was because she thought she had killed him. But now there's rumours of him being found, potentially having been struck with the Killing Curse... And even what her father said. If it was a werewolf attack, there would be a bite. And, with that logic, if there's not a bite, then someone would've stopped the werewolf... Meaning there would be a dead werewolf lying near the body.

       But there's not.

       Briar steps out of the carriage, and Fred's waiting for her. She feels her cheeks warm up, which she knows is strange, because he used to wait for her, to go to dinner. It wasn't exactly every day but he tended to, mostly when he had lessons near the carriage before dinner. Now, though, it's every evening, he'll wait for her outside, and they'll walk to the hall together. Briar thinks it's sweet.

       She doesn't really know what's going on with them, though. They haven't kissed yet, but he's said to her that he fancies her. Briar doesn't know if they're going out, or what. Fleur keeps on telling her to just ask him, but Briar thinks she's going to wait until after the ball. Whatever's going on, Briar's happy.

       "I've got to find Moody before dinner," says Briar.

       Fred frowns. "Why?"

       She shrugs. "Maxime told me to," she explains. "I think it's gonna be about my grandad. I dunno, maybe Moody knew him or something, or he's been a part of the investigation." Briar pauses, and she glances across at Fred, holding onto his hand. "So how was school for you?"