iv. Golden Girl

FOUR GOLDEN GIRL

       BRIAR LEAVES THE WEASLEYS in search of her tent, the one her grandpa planned to make Winky set up, and look after whilst he was busy working. She walks away from the larger group still annoyed, and faintly as she takes a different route to the Crouch pitch, she hears Fred's voice say, "What does she see in him?"

       She grumbles to herself, loud enough to startle a couple of children playing next to their family's tent. They stare at her oddly, and she thinks to herself, Malecrit, Briar, you don't even look like a monster and you're still scaring little children. She repositions her bag on her shoulder, feeling awkward and embarrassed, as she walks the rest of the way to the tent. Her eyes glance down at the map she had been given by her grandad before she left yesterday, and she follows the path to the x.

       But then, she hears her inner eye tell her, slow down. Confused, Briar does, coming to a full halt, as she turns around. Fred's standing there, looking a little sheepish. "I'm sorry for being a dick," he says.

       She crosses her arms. "Hm."

       "Honestly, Bri, I don't know what came over me—"

       "You were jealous," says Briar, frowning.

       Fred pauses, before he sighs. "OK, yeah, I was... You're my best friend and I haven't seen you in a year and I think it just annoyed me that you walked off with him... But I was being a dick about it, because he hasn't seen you in a year either, so it was wrong of me to react like I had more of a right to... I dunno, talk to you... And I'm sorry," he says. Briar nods. He looks sincere? And, to be fair, she knows he gets hot-heated easily, and he's always had a bit of a thing whenever she brought up her old crush on Cedric. "But," he says, and he tries to take hold of her hands, unfolding her arms to do so. He smiles slightly. "It's your birthday and I don't want you to have a shitty day because of me."