xvi. Pretty in Pink... No, Blue?

SIXTEEN PRETTY IN PINK

... NO, BLUE?

       BRIAR LEAVES THEM AROUND the same time as Hermione. Fred walks Briar back to the carriage, even though it's only a five-minute walk away, but he holds onto her hand, looking happy with himself. Briar's cheeks are burning, and she isn't sure if it's how over the moon she feels, or how cold it is outside. He kisses her again, before she leaves to go into the carriage, and she wraps her arms around his neck, smiling up at him.

       "I'll see you soon," she says, and she walks up the steps into the carriage. She has a massive smile across her face, as she walks to her dorm room, where Fleur's putting on her makeup, carefully applying gold eyeshadow to the center of her eyelid. She looks up at Briar, and quirks an eyebrow.

       "You look happy," she says.

       "We kissed," says Briar, and Fleur stands up, her mouth parting in surprise. Her mouth quickly moves and becomes a big smile, as she pulls Briar into a hug.

       "Finally!" says Fleur.

       Briar can't stop smiling. "Oh my God, Fleur, I love him," she tells her, and she puts her hand on her heart. Fleur lets out a laugh, and Briar hugs her again. "You know what? You can marry one of his brothers, and then we can be sisters, like, for real!"

       Fleur shakes her head. "I don't need marriage to be your sister," she tells her, and she kisses Briar's forehead.

       Briar starts to get ready for the ball, carefully resting her dress on her bed as she gets ready. It takes her an hour alone to just do her hair, this pretty style she's been practicing over the past few days. She finishes her makeup, carefully steps into the dress she and her dad picked out, and she looks across the room at Fleur, who's wearing a silky, silver dress that makes her silvery hair even more ethereal.