xxi. The Weirdest Dream

TWENTY-ONE THE WEIRDEST DREAM

       MIA SITS WITH HER HEAD in her hands, sitting on a stone step. If you walk past her, further up the corridor, you'll find yourself at the hospital wing — where her dad is. Where she had been, a few minutes ago, until she saw at least four heads of ginger hair, and then Harry, and she thought, I'm not fucking dealing with this right now. So she left, walking away from her dad. He didn't know what to do. But he wouldn't, would he? He wasn't around when she was little. He didn't even try and find her when he escaped from Azkaban. He doesn't know how to comfort her...

       She desperately hopes that her mum will show up soon. Her dad's face looked grave when Mia asked him where she was, so she worries that she's been roped into the Order. Merlin. Mia hates all of this. Mia hates the fact that her dad is too busy filling the fucking Gryffindors in on what's happened to find his actual child. Mia hates the fact that she was sobbing and the whole Weasley family intruded. Mia hates the fact that she can't find her mum. But, most importantly, Mia hates the fact that her best friend is dead. And she could've stopped it.

       So Mia cries into her hands, doubled over. The hallway's gotten dark now, and the candles near her know better than lighting the hallway up for people to see her there, on her own. Although she doubts anyone will walk past, since Dumbledore called for all students to be sent to their dorm rooms, and to stay there until morning... So it's just Mia, on her own, but she supposes she's got to get used to this. It's not like Cedric's going to come back. She has no one.

       Mia doesn't know where her mum is, but she knows that something fishy has been going on for the past year — ever since her dad actually showed up (a whole year after he first escaped, bear in mind) and her mum took him to the side, something has been going on. Mia, from her above-average eavesdropping skills, thinks it's got something to do with the fact that her mum was supposed to be a Death Eater, but still. She wants her mum. She wants her mum to hold her, to comfort her, to tell her that everything's going to be OK. Her mum lost all of her friends, all at once; she knows what Mia's going through. Her dad's too worried about Harry to think like that.