Arrival

Kitara Takeda

I've stayed mostly silent throughout the week as we kept moving forward to our destination. Will I even get to see my parents while we are there or did they just dump her ashes onto someone? Why couldn't they come home? Why won't they come home? I haven't seen them in so long... I bring my focus back to the present as I vaguely notice the rest of my team stopping as we approach the gates to the village. I follow behind as Kurenai clears our entrance with the guards and they pass through, but I stop just before the gate, the edge of my sandals stopping at the edge of that imaginary border. I couldn't fight or ignore the reality of the situation but taking this next step truly tosses me into the center of it all. Taking this step will lead me to holding my little sister again for the first time in three years. But this time, instead of being able to run my fingers through her soft blonde hair, I'll be holding a box of ash.

A hand gently takes mine, pulling me from my thoughts. I look over at Kiba as his thumb slowly rubs the back of my hand. He tells me to take a deep breath and that we'd only move forward when I was ready. I try to lift my mouth into a thin smile but it ends up being a slight twitch in the corner of my mouth. I look down at the ground and take a deep soothing breath before looking up at my team. They're waiting just inside the gate. Kurenai-sensei's expression is almost blank, but I can see the emotion fighting it's way into her eyes. She smiles softly at me as our eyes meet. Hinata looks confused and concerned, since we never told anyone what exactly is going on. We didn't tell Shino either but his face is always stoic. I take another breath and close my eyes before taking the next step. I'm in the village now.

"Kurenai-sensei, where do we go from here?" I ask, my voice sounding stronger than I feel.

My team and I are led through the village by our sensei. This village doesn't have a Kage like ours, but there is a Lord that controls the village. We have to meet with him and gain his approval to remain in the village before we can continue on our mission. Kurenai-sensei had also mentioned the possibility of staying in the village for the night before heading back the following morning. It's already late afternoon and she wanted to give us a break. I think she also wants to give me a moment to stop and process everything, but I don't think I could do anything in this village. I suddenly realize that Kiba hadn't released my hand the entire time we've been walking and while it is calming, I pull my hand away as we reach the doors to the Lord's office. It's unprofessional to show emotions like that in front of clients or anyone of a higher status.

The doors open and we are brought inside by an older woman who bows to the man seated behind a desk before leaving again. We all bow to the man out of respect and as we straighten, I study him and the office around us. He's an aging man with salt and pepper hair and a serious expression. His dark eyes are passing over us and I internally gag as I notice his gaze lingering on Hinata, Kurenai-sensei, and myself. Our sensei begins to talk to him, seeming to ignore the perverted glances he keeps passing around him while I clench my fists in my jacket. Disgusting creep. I can feel the anger pouring off of Kiba as he subtly moves closer to me. Lord Zana dismisses our team, granting our access to the village until tomorrow afternoon at the latest, and we thankfully start to leave but his voice stops us.

"Which of you is Takeda Kitara?"

"That is me, Lord Zana." I answer politely despite my desire to name Kiba instead.

"Stay for a moment."

I cast a look to Kurenai-sensei and to Kiba before heading back toward the center of the room. Once the doors close behind me, a wave of unease washes over me as he gets to his feet.

"So you are the daughter of Sin and Yuki. You are a rather striking young lady." Gross.

"Thank you, your Lordship." My hands are trembling in my jacket pockets as he slowly circles me.

"It's such a shame what happened to your sister. She was an absolute delight to have around." Pig.

"Why didn't you come with them? I would have loved to have you in my village."

I tense as his hand gently runs through my hair, pushing it off to the side. His breath moves to my neck and I close my eyes, attempting to keep my temper in check.

"I have duties to tend to as a shinobi for my village." I respond evenly. "As it is, I do have a mission to complete, if you don't mind, Lord Zana."

"You seem rather tense." He sighs, ignoring my attempt at dismissal. "Why don't you stay and relax for a while? I have a private sauna you are welcome to use." Pedophile.

"No thank you." My expression darkens into a glare as his hand wanders down my back before circling my waist. Thankfully he is behind me so he can't see. Stop touching me.

"You wouldn't want to disappoint a lord while you're visiting his village, would you?" He croons, his other hand lifting to trail a finger across my jawline. Asshole

"Lord Zana, I do appreciate your offer but I cannot rest while performing a duty for my village. My loyalty to them lies first." I answer harsher than I'd hoped. My control is slipping.

My eyes widen as his hand drifts lower and I feel the hem of my skirt start to lift as his lips brush my throat.