Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Isang tingin ko pa lang kay Samantha Sariet, alam kong hindi na niya ako gusto.

Just like her mother, Samantha is very stylish and very pretty. She's the type of girl that Denise and Shanna would approve of. Mas maikling palda, maikling buhok na bumagay sa maliit at suplada niyang mukha, at sagana ang hinaharap. For a high school girl like her, she looks very mature.

"Samantha, introduce yourself to the class..." ang adviser namin na ngiting-ngiti habang pinagmamasdan ang bagong kaklase.

She glanced at us with her bored eyes, heaved a sigh and then nodded.

"My name is Samantha Sariet. 16. I'm from Manila."

A hush of excited whispers filled the room. My girl classmates are looking at her with envy while my male classmates are surely crushing on her right now.

Hindi pa rin natatanggal ang pagkagulat sa mukha ko. I don't have any idea what she's doing here. Parang kahapon lang ay nakita ko siyang dumalo sa aming Halloween costume party at ngayon ay biglang kaklase ko na siya. It's all so sudden.

"And your parents?" udyok naman ng adviser namin. I glanced at her again, suddenly interested. I wonder how she'd introduce her mother, Valerie?

"My mom is Valerie Sariet. She's the chief strategist of some agricultural company. My father is dead."

Oh.

Despite the negative aura that she's radiating, I can't help but feel sorry for her. So that explains the absence of her father during the party. Wala na pala ang kaniyang ama. Somehow, I'm still very lucky that both my parents are at home, tending to my needs and being there for me.

"Kilala mo?"

Napalingon ako kay Jess nang kinalabit niya ako. I could tell that she's also scrutinizing the new classmate, Samantha. Maliit na ngiti lang ang inalay ko sa kaniya.

"Not really. Her mother works for us."

"Eh di trabahante niyo pala?"

Napalingon sa amin ang lalaking nakaupo sa harapan, pati na rin ang babaeng katabi niya. Mabilis akong nag-iwas ng tingin, bahagyang nahiya sa natamong hindi inaasahang atensyon mula sa kanila.

"H-Hindi naman siguro ganun, Jess. Nanay niya lang ang nagtatrabaho sa amin..."

"Ah..." aniya na labas sa ilong. She eyed as Samantha was instructed to occupy the seat at the front row. I noticed that she's wearing the velvet YSL mini backpack and a Jimmy choo golden bracelet wraps her slender arm. It made me think of how much her mother earns to sustain what could be a lavish lifestyle of Samantha.

Napaisip din ako... kung biglang nandito si Samantha sa private school na pinapasukan ko, ibig din bang sabihin na nandito rin si Steve?

I shivered at the thought. To be honest, I'm not comfortable of the way Steve looks at me. He introduced himself briefly during the party and the arrogant smirk plastered on his lips is both annoying and uncomfortable. Samantha doesn't seem interested in me, unlike her brother who keeps on making lewd remarks every time I bump into him at the hacienda.

Inignora ko nalang ang mga iniisip at mas pinagtuunan ng pansin ang mga takdang-aralin na kailangan naming ipasa.

By lunchtime, all the boys in our classroom adore Samantha Sariet. She's pretty, witty, and tall. No one wouldn't like her. She's like the mini version of her mother, Valerie.