Chapter 36

Everyone stared at Angela, stupified.

"Ralph, sorry. Jin helped start Wishing Well?" Emily asked.

"Yes." Angela replied, standing. "But as you said, this is not the time for a history lesson. I'm sorry to drop this on you and leave, but I really need to talk to Jin now and convince him sharing his, and Wishing Well's history with you three is a good idea. A safe idea."

They watched as Angela made her way to the door. She threw a wave over her shoulder before letting herself out.

"Bye," Emily whispered belatedly, trying to make sense of all the new information rattling around in her head. She was startled from her thoughts by a gentle touch on her arm.

"I know it's not your favorite thing for me to do," Taehyung mumbled. "But I'm really tired and sore. Could I sleep on the bed tonight?"

Emily hopped up from the couch, "Yes! Absolutely! I can sleep out here tonight."

Taehyung murmured his thanks as he worked himself into a standing position. As he took a step forward, he faltered and lost his balance, nearly tumbling to the floor before Emily grabbed him. With one arm around his waist and the other holding one of his arms over her shoulder, Emily led him, staggering a little under his weight toward her room.

After helping him into bed, and covering him with a blanket he always liked in his feline form, she made her way to the bedroom door. As she turned out the lights, his thoughts entered her mind again.

What are you going to do about Jimin?

Sighing, Emily answered softly, "I need to talk to him more. I started to like him and now all this. I want to give him a chance, but I need to know more."

He's the closest thing I have to a friend in this life that Wishing Well has shackled me to. He's a good guy. And he'd never say it to my face, but I know he wanted to be more open with you.

"I promise I'll talk to him with an open mind," Emily whispered, as she pulled the door shut behind her. When she got back into the living room Jimin had pulled himself into a sitting position. His body looked stiff; head bowed, shoulders rigid, and hands clasped more with nerves than anything she was sure.

"So," Emily started, clearing her throat as she tried to figure out what should come next. "Can we talk?"

Jimin nodded, eyes fixed on the floor. Slowly, Emily made her way to the couch and sat down, leaving a cushion between them. She hated feeling so awkward and hesitant around him. Looking at her hands, she picked at one of her nails. Now that her anger of him had burnt away with her forgiveness, she just wanted to trust him again.

"I'm sorry I reacted so poorly," she whispered, eyes still fixed on her hands. "I understand better now and I'm so, so sorry."

She couldn't bring herself to look at him, but she could feel his eyes on her.

"I would like for us to be close again, if that's possible." She said, turning her gaze from her hands to his face. "If that's something you want."

Jimin's silence was deafening. Emily knew she should say something else, but the words and feelings swarming around her mind, just couldn't string together and make their way out of her. Fixing her eyes back on her hands she wished she had the words to say to fix this. His withholding of the truth hurt, but knowing what she knew now changed her feelings about the situation. Emily shot together when Jimin's tan, ring clad fingers came into her vision and wrapped around hers.

"I would like that," Jimin answered, his voice soft and hoarse. "But if it means keeping you safe there may be times that I can't tell you things."

Emily shook her head. "No. Jimin, I can't deal with any more dishonesty; for my protection or otherwise."

Jimin sighed deeply, "The people I work for are dangerous, Emily. I want to keep us both safe, YOU especially."

Jimin rubbed his thumb back and forth over her fingers, as they sat in silence. Emily pondered what he said, and what she could deal with. She didn't want to lose her head, literally or figuratively, over Jimin, but being who and what he was she knew she would have to make concessions.

"Okay." Emily said. "Can we compromise? You don't have to tell me everything, but if it pertains directly to me, Taehyung, or Angela you'll tell me?"

Jimin rubbed his chin with his other hand, and stared at the wall.

"Fine," he said at last. "I can live with that."

Emily smiled at him so wide her cheeks started hurting.

"Thank you!" she said, squeezing his hand.

Jimin smiled and squeezed her hand back. Before Emily could say anything else, the smiled faded from his face.

"In the interest of being honest I need to be frank with you." He said, voice somber.

Though she was happy, apprehension filled her at the seriousness of his tone and face.

"I'm not sure what you're expecting from this," Jimin said, gesturing with his free hand between them. "I know where I would love for this to go, but I'm only allowed to stay around until your three wishes are granted."

Jimin's hold on her hand slackened and his shoulders slumped forward. Pulling her hand the rest of the way free from his, Emily rubbed circles on his back.

"Well, I've only made one wish, right? I can just not make my other two wishes. You could stay longer," she murmured, leaning into his shoulder.

Jimin exhaled a long breath, turning his face to press a hesitant kiss against the top of her head.

"As much as I would love that, they would never let that happen." Jimin said, voice sounding wistful. "They're already suspicious of you and this situation, and the longer it takes for me to grant your wishes the more suspicious they'll become. They've already sent Agent Min to prompt me along."

Emily's brows furrowed as her heart sank. This truly felt like a hopeless situation. Pulling back from Jimin so she could see his face, Emily made her decision.

"I'll take whatever you can give me for however long you can. And maybe," she said, hope infusing her voice, "Maybe Jin will have some idea of how to help us."

Pulling Emily into his chest, Jimin mumbled against her hair, "We can only hope."

Sorry  for taking so long to update!  Enjoy!