Twenty - One

"How are you feeling?"

James scoffed, sucked his front teeth while looking away like he was trying to keep his temper in check.

Denzel leaned forward, his hands on the table, clasped together. "Mum and dad arrived earlier. They're on their way to see you. Dad is trying to. . ."

"Just save me the whole headlines, will you?" James cut in. "I'm sure that when dad gets here, I'll hear it from him."
James said with a raised eyebrow.

"James, listen. . ."

"No, you listen, Denzel. I'm not done with you yet. When I get out of here, you better find a perfect spot that will suit your body. Because you'll be dead for boning my fiancée."

Denzel sighed. "I know. But for the main time, let's focus on getting you out first."

James chuckled. "Yes, please do. So I can facilitate the punishment you deserve."

Denzel didn't want to talk about Janelle right now. Especially when the main issue was to get James out as soon as possible. The whole case is getting straight to court and there will be a hearing. Denzel didn't want to tell him that, so he doesn't think there is no progress. Even though he will hear it anyway.

He merely nodded while James looked away. The mistake had already been done. And James wasn't the kind to walk away from a stab on the back. Especially when the backstabber should have been an ally.

"You are really not going to apologize for what you did?"
James finally said. Much to Denzel's astonishment.

Denzel stared blankly at his cousin, trying to get a hold of what he just said. "Uh. . . I . . ." He sighed. "Listen, man. I'm really sorry. It shouldn't have happened . . . I know you trusted me with her. And I betrayed you. But even if you can't forgive me, just try to look past what she did. I know it's hard, but forgive her. You owe her that much."

James leaned back and studied Denzel. Then laughed, shaking his head. "I do? Why?"

Denzel sighed. "Stop being a complete ass, James. You know you owe her more than you think you do. You have put her through a lot than she bargained for. You know Janelle is fragile and she's going through hell because of you. And you did . . .cheat on her countless times."

James lowered his gaze.

"She's sorry, man. And I am too. But if you can't find it in your heart to forgive me, I will understand. I just hope you will, though. But her? Please."

James stared at him for what seemed to be a long ass time, and Denzel was beginning to think they would spend the rest of the time given by just staring at each other.

"I adore Janelle. And you know that. I appreciate her personality and the way she carries herself. But I don't know if I love her."

Denzel nodded.

"But that doesn't mean that I still won't marry her. You know the reason I want to marry her. So back off,  Richard. Stay away from her. I know your puppy love for her has lasted you a lifetime and even more. But then, na me be the real deal."

James said and leaned back in his chair, eyes fixed on Denzel who nodded. "You don't need to spell it out to me. I'm aware of that. Well, mum and dad will be here soon. And in the main time, I'll go check out that stuff in the office. Take care of yourself, James."

James said nothing. He simply stared into space while Denzel took his leave.

James knew he had crossed the line. He hadn't had this heated argument with Denzel since the day he had deliberately broken one of Janelle's princes crowns just to spite her. And from then, he always knew that no other person would bring them to blows. None other than the light skinned Anderson.