Seven

The door opened and Janelle's mum smiled her way into the room. Janelle, who was still busy with her designs, looked up from her mum and gave her a weak smile.

She was still feeling very bad after her brief and disturbing encounter with Tope. The thought still stuck with her even after Tara had assured her that it was nothing of the sort. Tara had always been good at making her feel better. And even after they had gone off to Candy's, she was of no help at all.

She rolled her eyes and sat up reluctantly. It wasn't new to her anymore that her parents were early at home. Most times, they were hardly at home for close to a year.

Her parents had their own businesses and had it going well for them. Her mum owned a fashion house and that's where Janelle got her talent and passion for fashion and clothes.

Her father was a very popular owner of an oil company. It was going well for him too and he travelled most of the time. That's how the Anderson's and the  Morgans got too close. Apart from their fathers being friends from school days.

"Hello, Sunshine."
Her mother said, with a smile, carefully straightening her very beautiful and flashy night dress with her fingers, clearly showing off her long well polished nails.

Janelle had been used to her parents treating her like a baby even in her twenty three years of age. She was used to it and most times it gave way for another pampering by her friends.

"Hey, mum."
She said, dryly.

Her parents, Catherine and Joshua hadn't been around much since the engagement had been announced. She wasn't bothered though. She was used to not having them around. And its a good thing that her mother had hired the best and most expensive wedding planner to take over everything from the invitations to the wedding arrangements and the catering.

"How are you doing today?"
She said, grinning and brushing off the weaves from her face.

"I'm good, mum. What are doing in Nigeria so soon? Thought you would be back before the wedding... I mean... Uh..."
She stuttered and her mother laughed.

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

Janelle looked back and forth as if trying to figure it out.
She shrugged as if to say 'forgetting what exactly?'

"I'm here for your birthday, silly." She said, laughing.

Right. It was her birthday tomorrow. She didn't really think her mother will attend. At least not before the day. Her parents usually arrive few hours after or on the day. And sometimes, they get held up at work.

"Oh." She said, and forced a smile.

Catherine laughed again and shook her head, with a kiss on Janelle's cheek. Her mother still treated her like she was still twelve years old.
"Okay, I'm here and not just because of that. Nana told me you haven't been feeling well for two days now."

"Huh? I'm fine, mummy."
She said in disbelieve.

"Yes, well she said you left the house two days ago and slept out. You came home, feeling very disoriented and disturbed. Yesterday, you didn't spend the night at home at all."
Catherine said with a raised eyebrow.

Janelle face palmed herself. "No, mum. I was over at Denzel's two days ago and yesterday, Tara and I were at Candy's for a girls' night. We kind of got caught up in our discussion and I decided to sleep over."
She explained. She really didn't see the need to explain herself, but her mother won't have enough of it, if she won't clarify herself.

Catherine would only think that she wasn't really feeling well.

"I know you sneak off to Denzel's at midnight when you were very young and that only happens when you need to talk to him. I remember when you would go over to the quarters and wake poor Alfred to take you to Denzel's."
Catherine said and laughed when Janelle looked up at her in disbelief. She still remembered that?