Chapter 26

Previously!

"All right," Tanjiro turned his head to you after he gave his own respectful goodbye to the deceased, "are you ready to go (Y/N)?" You nodded. He smiled confidently at your answer and looked at the yellow-haired male now, "Alright Zenitsu, let's go!" Zenitsu didn't give the same answer as you however. You placed your hand on your hip as you watched Zenitsu shake his head, clearly scared to his wits-end. "No one can help them except for the three of us though, Zenitsu." Tanjiro tried to reason. Zenitsu merely stood there, trembling with clenched teeth. You sighed as you pinched the bridge of your nose,

'Maybe it would be a good idea if he stayed out here.'

On to Chapter 26!

Standing behind Tanjiro, you waited for him to continue speaking with Zenitsu. After a few seconds of complete silence, you cocked an eyebrow up out of confusion and looked at the side of Tanjiro's face. You internally freaked out by what your male friend looked like due to how dark his eyes and expression was; it was clear that he was fed-up with the other male's attitude. "Really?" Tanjiro referencing to Zenitsu's terrified state in a cold tone, "All right then." The aforementioned male's expression made Zenitsu scream out of fright and worry. Ignoring him, Tanjiro turned around to face you. His expression lightened up, but his disappointment remained visible. You smiled lightly as you grabbed his hand, "He's just nervous Tanjiro-kun. Don't let that bother you, okay?" The corners of his mouth turned up slightly; the warmth from your hands and the tenderness that you had in your eyes made him feel a bit more at ease. 

"Hey! Stop getting all sappy with Tanjiro, (Y/N)chan~!" The male cried out as he flailed on the ground, causing you to look at Zenitsu with concern rather than looking at the red-eyed male in front of you, irking the red head. "Tanjiro was giving me such a nasty ogre face! So he doesn't deserve your love and attention!" Tanjiro's pissed expression came flooding back once more as he heard the obnoxious male spew nonsense. You sweat dropped slightly as you saw the aforementioned males face darken with frustration. Trying to suppress the increasing irritation in him, Tanjiro tightened his grasp on your hand, "Let's go, (Y/N)chan." Putting more emphasis on your name and formality than usual. You nodded reluctantly, slightly confused and nervous about why your companion put so much emphasis on your name.

Your tense self quickly unraveled though as you felt a thumb rubbing your hand gently. Looking down for second, you saw that Tanjiro was rubbing your hand with his thumb gently to help calm down your nerves. You chuckled at the males small action and his never-changing pissed-face. You walked towards the entrance of the house with him, comfortable with staying by his side and holding his hand now. Realizing that he was going to be by himself soon, Zenitsu scrambled to his feet, "W-Wait!" Grabbing the box that Tanjiro carried on his back and letting his body be dragged, "You can't bring (Y/N)chan with you! If she's going then I have to come with you both!" Tanjiro's expression remained the same, "She's coming with me. And I have no intention on forcing you to come with us." The wine-eyed males words was dripping with beads of frustration. "I said I'll go~!" Zenitsu cried out.

But before entering the strange home that sat in the middle of the woods, Tanjiro first went over to the two small children. Staying in front of the entrance of the home, you could feel a shivering arm wrap itself around your own arm. Sighing, "Zenitsu, there's nothing to be scared of," you said with an unamused tone. The yellow boy whined, "Yes there is! There's some scary demon in there and he's going to rip us apart! Limb from limb!" You whacked the male, causing him to cry loudly. "Stop thinking like that Zenitsu," you eyed the male down as he crouched to the ground while rubbing his head frantically. You shook your head as you looked down at him, "Zenitsu," you called out, making the male quickly look up at you, "I don't know why you doubt yourself so much, but I'm sure that you're a lot more talented than you think." You smiled as you looked down at him, the sunlight glowing around your head. "So just keep think positively, okay?" You finally ended. Zenitsu looked at you with amazement as his cheeks became slightly dusted with pink. He gave you an ecstatic smile and jumped to his feet in order to hug you tightly. "W-Woah!" You yelled out of surprise as the male tightly hugged you. "You're so sweet and amazing (Y/N)chan~! You're like a beautiful goddess!" The male slowly began to sob, catching you off guard, "I'm so glad that I met you! You're just so amazing and gorgeous!" You now chuckled, your initial feeling of worry was now replaced by butterflies. Returning the hug and patting his back, "Okay, okay... There's no need to cry Zenitsu."