TEASER

My first "Ateez" story. As a little warning, there will be a few mentions of... dark stuff in this? I accidentally incorporated a bunch of different genres into this story, so I hope you find it interesting. Also don't be afraid to comment or anything, I want to hear what people think of my writing.

Firefly like bugs swarmed from the bronze tree leaves. Their bodies were shaped like a butterfly's, their wings encasing glowing veins.

But what was truly beyond beautiful about this scene was San.

His longish cobalt blue and blue-purple hair also glowed lightly, some strands brighter than others and gently swaying in the night breeze, no braids in it this time. There were also small glowing white dots on San's neck, where freckles were found in the daylight. Then there were his irises, shining the same curious purple as when they first met. He was still the prettiest person Wooyoung had ever seen.

"What are you thinking about?" San asked as he swung his legs. The branch didn't even sway, reassuring Wooyoung that it wasn't going to break below them. And even if it did, San would catch him.

"When we met. You really saved me back there." Wooyoung said, a wide smile overtaking his features as San smiled back at him.

"Because you were dumb. And ignorant. And arrogant. And-" "Ok that's enough..." Wooyoung chuckled as he cut San off.

"But you changed. And now you know who you are." San said, gently entwining their fingers. His were warm but rough from years of labour and climbing, but Wooyoung loved it. The way their hands just... fit.

"Yep, thanks to you." A strong breeze passed by, tree leaves rustling like hundreds of wingbeats. Silence dawned over the boys for a moment, Wooyoung knowing San could hear his accelerated heartbeat. And he knew San's heart was also racing, and that thought bought him joy. When they were alone, it was like the world's problems were so far away. All the tension between their peoples didn't exist, just the two of them.

"Thank you for choosing me." San severed the quiet air, other hand wrapping around Wooyoung's toned arm as his head fell onto Wooyoung's shoulder.

"You're very welcome, and thank you for not giving up." Wooyoung said, not looking San in the eyes. They'd been through so, so much to get to this point in their lives, but it'd all been worth it. Now they had one another.

"I never would have. You just needed your time." San said. He gave Wooyoung's hand a squeeze and moved their clasped hands closer to himself. Before Wooyoung could ask what he was doing, San gently moved Wooyoung's shirt so he could see his shoulder. Their tattoo was still present; an accident neither regretted. In the time they'd know each other, both had made some pretty dumb mistakes. But then they tried their best to fix them and grow as people. Wooyoung went from impulsive and stubborn to hardworking and accepting of help. San went from naive and childish to more mature and strong. Their changes made their lives easier, but also bought them together.

"What do you think happens next?" Wooyoung asked, seeing San's people preparing weapons and painting their skin with war patterns. San followed his gaze and tensed, knowing what was to come. He felt the familiar sting of tears in his eyes, letting his fears fill them as they trickle down his face. For Wooyoung it was almost impossible to miss the glowing liquid that carved it's paths down San's face, their colour like the Earthen sunset. Gently using his other hand to wipe them away, Wooyoung allowed San to cry.

"I-I don't know. I'm scared..." San admitted. He held Wooyoung closer, turning his head so he wouldn't have to see the people preparing for battle. Wooyoung knew he should be heading back to his team, but desperately didn't want to leave San.