"They are probably just messing around. You know that Tory has other things on her mind right now," Krystal stated, trying to cheer her up.

Tory's dad had not been in good health lately, so as the oldest out of seven in her parents' patchwork family, she worked extra hard to support the other family members. She was even planning on moving back home temporarily during her semester break to help them out.

"The problem is not her, Catie. The problem is that you won't make up your mind. Since your relationship-fail with Tristan, you keep pushing every guy away. But how can you expect to receive anything if you're not expressing your feelings in the first place? It's not like you're sending any signals, you know?"

As much as Cate hated to admit it, her friend had a point there. Ever since finding out that her first love, Tristan, had betrayed her, she had troubles trusting again. She couldn't help it, it was really hard for her to let her guard down. It wasn't that no one after Tristan had shown interest, it was her insecurity which made her push them away. She feared that they, too, would lose interest in her as time went on. As long as no one came near her, she wouldn't be disappointed again and she liked to stay clear of another heartache. But it also hindered her from moving forward in life.

Slowly nearing her mid-twenties, she hadn't managed to develop a normal romantic relationship. Of course, this made her feel even more insecure. And so the cycle continued. It was hard to break free.

It seemed as if her friends couldn't bear to watch it any longer. Cate had noticed that they kept pushing her out of her comfort zone lately.

"You know what? Maybe I should take off this jacket and dance for a while," Cate said, causing Krystal's almond-shaped eyes to grow brighter and her perfectly made-up lips smile.

She looks different without her cold-business-woman expression, almost cute, Cate thought.

Krystal spotted Key behind the huge glass front of the VIP area, far above the dance floor, talking. She signed for them to go there as she grabbed Cate's hand.

Two bouncers were guarding the stairs that divided the commoners from the special quests. However, Krystal was relatively famous around this area. Cate wasn't surprised when the men stepped aside to grant them entrance. When they arrived, she felt her ears relax. The music was much quieter and sounded a little muffled now, allowing people to talk without yelling at each other.

She noticed two guys speaking to Key. They seemed familiar, but she couldn't pinpoint where she had seen them before. In any case, they were talking as if they knew each other quite well. Next to them stood another tall guy. Despite his soft facial features, he was wearing a stoic, almost deterrent expression. His stormy grey eyes were unreadable and he didn't say a word.

A few steps away, she overheard a man arguing with a woman. She was wearing very little but somehow managed to make it seem more sexy than slutty. All the makeup made her look older than she probably was.

"Don't make me regret ever knowing you," the handsome stranger said to her, his voice sounded as sharp as a razor blade.

"Drayce, you know the inevitable ending already. Why are you still going against this?" the woman asked cryptically, her confidence slipping.

He seemed to have had enough of her, ignoring her as he turned away.

Cate found that he had an attractive profile - intense, dark eyes, straight snub nose, full lips, and a sharp jawline. But there was no time to pay more attention, her focus was ripped away from him as Krystal grabbed her focus.

"Excuse us," Krystal interrupted Key's conversation confidently, completely disregarding the guys around her.

Cate couldn't help but be amazed by Krystal's unreachable level of composure. She could have sworn she saw surprise or even admiration on the stoic guy's face, too, but it was gone before she could be sure.

There weren't many girls who managed to act this way around such a bundle of hot males. The proof being a noticeable bunch of women staring with lust around them but made no moves. The guys were good-looking with the slight badass aura that females craved.

Not Cate though. She had enough of bad guys for the rest of her life as they only brought drama. If anything, she was looking for a man with a decent character.

On the other hand, these guys were no match for Krystal's level-headedness. She seemed completely unaffected.

Key looked to the side, surprised by the sudden intrusion. His face, however, softened when he recognized them.

"You need to hold onto this for a moment. Mary and I are going to hit it off tonight," Krystal pointed at Cate with a smirk.

And with that, she pulled Cate's jacket from off her slim shoulders and handed it over to him with the rest of their belongings that would have disturbed them on the dance floor. She then snatched Cate's hairband, letting her long, wavy hair be the only thing to cover her back like a silky veil.

"Glad to see you're enjoying yourself," Key said towards Cate. He sounded genuine except for the playful glimmer in his bright eyes.

She had no time to reply though as her friend had no plans of staying.

"Catch you later!" Krystal grabbed Cate's hand and pulled her away, leading her deep into the dancing crowd.

_________

My dear little Mobsters,

how are you doing?

I hope you enjoyed getting to know a little more about the friendship dynamic between Cate and her friends. Also, this chapter contains a few little hints on things that will become relevant later on. What do you think they are?

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. I'd also love to talk to you in the comment section about what you liked/disliked. Please leave your thoughts! I don't bite, promise! <3

Let's chat!

Topic: What are your thoughts on bad breakups? Would you be affected like Cate and struggle to overcome them or are you the type to move on after a bad few weeks?