Christmas Day

I woke up, warm and content. I was tucked into Gabe, his arm wrapped around my stomach pulling me close. His head was burrowed into the nape of my neck and I could hear his soft snores. I reached out and glanced at my phone, it was still early. I could hear Nan bustling downstairs but I knew better than to go down and see her.

On Christmas Day, Nan and Dad would go downstairs to check that Santa had been overnight. I would lie in bed, laughing at the ridiculousness of it all but loving it at the same time. I would hear bells jingle, my door burst open and then they would both burst into my room wearing Santa hats  and shouting that Santa had been. We would all tear down the stairs into the living room, warm with the fire and open presents before tucking into one of Nan's amazing pancake tower breakfasts. We would go out for a walk in the snow and then trudge home, our faces pink with cold. Dad and I would read books and Nan would cook a traditional Christmas dinner. We would stagger up to bed, bellies and hearts full of happiness and love. 

I wondered what would happen today.

Gabe stirred, kissing my shoulder softly. I smiled and rolled onto my back. Gabe kept his arm around me. 

"Morning," I smiled at him.

"Morning," He kissed me gently. 

I moved my hands up and rested them on his shoulders. I could feel the bones and muscle underneath my hands. 

"I like waking up next to you," I said. 

"Me too," he replied. He gave me a wide, toothy grin. I grinned back at him. 

Last night, Gabe and I had stood outside my Dad's old room. It was the only spare bed we had in the house. He had moved to go in and I had grabbed his hand, Gabe looked at me. I held on tightly then tugged him into my room. I had wanted him beside me but more than anything, I couldn't bear him going into Dad's room. It was his.

"As much as I could stay here, Nan is going to come up shortly and I don't think she's going to..."

I heard bells jingling and Nan's footfalls on the stairs.

"Fuck!" I hissed, pushing at him.

"Pete, Pete..wait I can't..I..."

"Santa's been!!" Nan cackled as she burst into the room, wearing her wooly tartan dressing gown and Santa hat. Her grey hair shot out at all ends. 

She stopped and looked at us both in the bed, looking guilty as hell. 

"Uh.. Merry Christmas?" Gabe said.

I buried my head in my hands. 

Nan leant against the door frame and cackled loudly. I looked up, shocked, as she roared with laughter, tears running down her face. 

"Merry Christmas, lovebirds! I can't believe it took you so long!"

Nan turned and padded down the stairs. 

Gabe and I looked at each speechless. I slid out of bed and pulled on my Dad's old jumper over my vest top and adjusted my shorts. I handed Gabe his t-shirt and he shoved it on. We looked at each other and his lips twitched. 

I felt laughter burst out of me. He joined in. 

"Pete.." Gabe gasped with laughter. 

I wiped tears from my eyes, "I know.. I know.."

"SANTA!" Nan bellowed from the living room. 

I kissed Gabe on the forehead, "Get dressed, I'll see you in a minute."