Kissing the gunner's daughter

Neil's lakeside cottage

Mike's pov

Breaking our embrace, Neil held me at arm's length saying, "Pull yourself together, Michael, you have some yardwork to attend to. Send in your accomplice while you're at it. I'd like to have a word with him."

Wiping my tears, I dutifully replied, "Yes sir," before heading out the door.

Neil stopped me when I had one foot out the screen door as he sternly questioned, "Aren't you forgetting something, Michael David?"

Seeing the confused look of panic on my face, Neil sighed as he prompted me further, "What's the appropriate response upon receipt of my correction, Michael?"

My eyes darted nervously around the room as I tried to stall for time until I could figure out what Neil wanted.

"You're trying my patience, young man." Neil closed his eyes while rubbing his forehead in frustration.

The lightbulb finally appeared so I quickly blurted out my answer, "Thank you for disciplining me, sir."

"That's better, although a bit hollow due to the prompting required to ascertain your gratitude." Neil frowned disapprovingly before adding, "You're letting flies in, Michael, move along."

Stepping outside, I caught glimpse of a very sweaty and muddy Shane as he lugged a pile of landscaping bricks over to the side garden.

"Time to take five, Admiral,  Neil wants a word with you."

Shane's pov

Seeing the hesitation in Mike's step and his red puffy eyes, I had a pretty good idea of how Neil concluded his conversation with the good doctor.

"Are you alright, mate?"

"Yeah," Mike paused, a slight smile gracing his lips, "Everything's gonna be just fine."

I handed him the shovel and Neil's plans.

"Wish me luck," I said, giving Mike a pat on the back before going inside to face the music.

Once inside, I see Neil sitting at the kitchen table sipping his Earl Grey.

"You wanted to speak to me, sir?" I politely ask, knowing full well this is gonna hurt so I better be on my best behaviour.

"Do you know why I called you in here, Shane?"

"I'm guessing to further address my disobedience and disrespect, sir."

"That's correct, Donovan. Nothing ever comes without a consequence, a cost."

Hmmm, where have I heard that before? I thought to myself, trying to recall why those words sound so familiar.

"You of all people should respect the chain of command and understand the consequences for circumventing it. Am I correct, Admiral?" Neil sat back in his chair with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Yes sir." I know I need to cater to Neil's ego right now.

"You may have been a high-ranking official in the British Royal Navy, Donovan, but in my organization, you're an entry level, disposable employee. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir." Not gonna lie, that hurt but I've certainly heard worse so I'll bite my tongue.

"Insubordination of a superior officer is quite the egregious offence in the British Royal Navy. Is it not?" Neil stood up, ready to take action.

"Yes sir." I do not like where this conversation is headed.

"Perhaps we should embrace kickin' it old school as the kids say."