Decisions

Carrie's pov

Mike motions with a simple tilt of his head for me to get up and follow him out of the school office. Shane smacks me harshly on the behind, bringing tears to my eyes, not from the severity of the swat but from the guilt and humiliation I feel, although Shane's smack was quite forceful. We each walk silently to the car. As I reach for the handle to get in the backseat, Mike holds the door closed with his left hand as he looms over me.

He's inches from my face as he whispers sadly in my ear, "I've never been more disappointed in you, Carrie, than I am at this moment."

His words cut through me like a razor sharp knife.

"I'm so sorry." I offer up my lame apology.

Mike just turns and gives me a stern look before getting in the car. The ride home is silent and uneventful, save for several disapproving scowls from Shane in the rearview mirror.

"Straight to my room to await your punishment," Shane growls, as we enter the Center.

"Yes sir," I say meekly.

Shane opens his bedroom door and instructs me to sit in the chair in the corner. He closes his door and follows Mike into his room, leaving me alone to await my fate.

Mike's pov

"What are we going to do, Shane? I mean it's been so long since Carrie's been in trouble, I've forgotten how to punish her."

"I know. I'm furious with her for destroying school property but when I think of how I would punish one of our other girls in this situation, it just doesn't seem right for Carrie, but then I think that sounds awful. It's not really fair to go easier on Carrie than we would on any of the others. Right?"  Shane is pacing, clearly agonizing over this decision.

"Exactly, if it were Julie, Lisa, or Stacey in her place, we wouldn't hesitate to blister their behinds with one of our belts but I don't know if I can do that to Carrie." I'm so conflicted. I look to Shane for guidance. "Are we bad guardians, Shane?"

"No, Mike. No come on, we can't beat ourselves up over this. Every child has a different personality, temperament, and tolerance. Right? So, it only makes sense they would require different methods and degrees of discipline."

"You're right, Shane. We need to tailor this punishment to fit Carrie." I take a deep breath and exhale slowly. "I think the belt is too severe. Agreed?"

"Agreed, but I definitely think she deserves a spanking and I think we should ground her as well."  Shane has stopped pacing now.

"Alright, we're in agreement then. I'll deliver her spanking and you can set the terms for her grounding."

Carrie's pov

I cringe seeing the foreboding looks on both their faces as they enter the room. Mike ceremoniously retrieves Shane's desk chair and places it in the center of the room before taking a seat.

"Come here, Carrie," Mike says sternly.

I slowly walk to stand in front of him. He takes hold of my chin in his left hand.

"I'm only going to say this once. You will look at Shane and I when we're speaking to you and you will maintain eye contact when speaking to us. Clear?"

"Yes sir." I would have averted my gaze but Mike was holding my chin rather firmly.

"What in God's name possessed you to vandalize that classroom today? And I don't know is not an acceptable answer."

"I'm not sure, I just..." I let my voice trail off, unsure of what to say.

Mike sighs and pinches the bridge of his nose.