Chapter 13

My lungs feel like they're on fire when I realize that I'm starting to regain consciousness. I don't really recall anything about being unconscious. I guess that's because I'm, you know, unconscious. Frankly, I think it's a little ridiculous that people always seem to have these profound moments with passed loved ones whenever they're unconscious, that or dreams with double meanings. Yeah, there's none of that.

I groan, and I try to get a feel of my surroundings before I open my eyes. I smell booze, death and the feeling of desperation mixed with hate and anger. All I can hear is a loud ringing in my ears that is something that I find utterly annoying.

"Don't bother listening for anything. You'll have plenty of time to get familiar with your surroundings while we're torturing you," a familiar voice says. A slot slides shut, and I realize that I must be in some sort of cell, the kind that has that little slot in order for a prisoner to be spoken to or given food or water.

I open my eyes and see that very slot open once again, having slid open for further conversation, letting light pour in. It's then that I see her sparkling brown eyes, practically glistening with evil.

"Angela," I groan, feeling anger start to cause adrenaline to course through my veins. It's enough to allow me stand. "I thought you were just some member of the art club."

"Oh, I used to be, but when I found out that you had taken in interest of that stupid ex of mine, I realized that I really wasn't over him. It was too late to get him back, because he became obsessed with you." I can hear the bitterness in her voice, and I wonder how one person can be filled with so much hate that it taints their soul and mind. Why would Thomas date a girl like that? Then, I remember how she was when Peter and I met her, and I can understand how she can come across as a sweetheart. Oh, God. Poor Peter. How am I supposed to explain this kind of thing to him? He fainted when I told him about the whole demon and werewolf thing? I'm not looking forward to that conversation.

"It's not my fault you're a fucking psychopath," I remark, hissing through the pain. Most of the blood flow has stopped, but there's still a small trickle that's escaping down my stomach. My shirt has ripped, revealing the mostly closed wound. Thank Jesus for werewolf healing.

"Real smart, making smart-ass remarks to the person holding you captive," she returns sarcastically. She then laughs condescendingly at me. "Have fun with your cellmate, dick." The slot slams shut, and I can hear her footsteps leaving me behind.

"Real smart, acting like a psycho," I murmur before pausing. "What?" I whisper to myself. I "turn on" my wolf eyes in order to see in the dark. I cry out in horror as my blood runs cold. There's a body in the middle of the cell, shackles tied to his ankles and hands. "Oh, God, Thomas," I whisper, crawling towards his body. His skin is grey, and his eyes stare up at the ceiling aimlessly. It's heartbreaking. Rigor mortis has already set in, which means that his body has gone stiff. He's been dead for a long while. Knowing that his eyes won't stay closed because of rigor mortis, I close mine and look away -- moving towards the opposite end of the cell, towards the door.

I feel a sob escape my throat, and I don't hold back. I start sobbing uncontrollably, and warm tears cascade down my cheeks. I let out a scream of guilt and frustration, tugging at my hair and causing pain to erupt along my scalp.

I can hear laughter resonating through the building I'm in, but I can't bring myself to care. I just take note that there's two women in the building. The other woman is probably Angela's accomplice. They find such happiness in one's misery, that it makes me want to throw up in simple disgust. Though, that could also be the fact that there's a dead body decaying a few feet away from me.

I whimper quietly, trying to silence my cries. I won't give them the satisfaction of hearing me cry, but the fact that a guy I had feelings for is dead and a few feet away isn't exactly helping my situation.