chapter thirty four

"Everybody knows
the war is over.

Everybody knows
the good guys lost."

Five and I decided it would be best to walk home. To let off stress. I stayed quiet most of the way. I didn't want to speak to him and he accepted that. He had his hands in his pocket, walking my pace though at one point, I tried speeding up.

As we passed by the familiar stores that I use to visit, my heart felt heavy. Heavier than normal. And I can feel the tension between Five and I.

As we walked, Five suddenly stops so I stopped with him, turning to him. He looks down at the floor, knitting his eyebrows. A newspaper lied on the floor, flipping through itself as the wind did its job. I didn't question him. Instead, I let him pick up the newspaper, flipping to the first page. He looks at me and before I could say anything, he grabs my wrist.

"Shit," He gasped, teleporting us. The blue particles took us somewhere hot. My vision was blurry for a moment, not understanding where Five took me. After he teloprted us, he continued to walk, newspaper in hand. I looked around to see a demolished building. The closer I looked, it was the Umbrella Academy.

The academy was burned to the ground, ruined. Debris flew everywhere as fire continued to build up. Fright in my eyes appear as I start to sweat.

I now realize, Five has walked way too far from me. I decided to follow, leaving me to almost trip on the left overs of the academy. So many things went through my head but one stood out; This is the end of the world.

My pace became faster though it made it harder to get through all the ruins. I catch up to Five, seeing his family in the distance, with no sign of Vanya. Diego was sat on a piece of the academy while the rest surrounded him. I noticed Allison's throat patched up as I sigh in relief.

"Guys!" Five exclaimed cause the attention to drive to us. "This is it," He says as we both walked through the bricks and pieces. "The apocalypse is still on. The world ends today." We came to a stop.

"I thought you said it was over?" Luther asks, walking towards us.

"I was wrong, okay?" He holds up the newspaper towards the group. "This newspaper, I found it in the future the day I got stuck," My mind went everywhere. I was scared and terrified. All this for nothing. I knew I should have killed myself. "The headline hasn't changed."

"No, that doesn't mean anything," Diego was in denial and so was I. "Time could have been altered since that newspaper came out this morning." And I shook my head in disagreement while he looked at me in confusion. I had a sad look on my face and I even knew it.

"No, you're not listening to me," Five states. "When I found it, I assumed this place came down along with everything else. But here we are, the moon is still shining, the earth is still in one piece, but not the academy."

"Jenkins wasn't the cause." I add quietly. A scared expression came upon everybody's faces as Klaus quickly takes the newspaper away from Five.

"I'm confused," Klaus turns, trying to read it whilst walking.

"Then listen to me, you idiot!" Five says harshly as I roll my eyes. "Vanya destroys the academy before the apocalypse," I didn't even realize Vanya did this. "We thought Harold Jenkins was the cause but he was the fuse," He explains. "Vanya is the bomb," I notice everyone's faces turn pale as Five explained. The light of the fires only reflecting. "Vanya causes the apocalypse."

In the distance you heard surens and helicopters. My stress levels surprisingly went up though I didn't realize it could go that high.

"We have to find her." Luther says.