chapter twenty two

"I'll do it if I have to.
Hoping for an inbetween.

Not what I meant when
I said that I
wanted to be seen."

"Eat up before they take your food away." The man whose voice was now the only thing stuck in my head said. I look up at behind the white bars, in vain.

"Take it away, I could not give a fuck." I cracked a smile as he only stood there, staring at me. He kicks the tray towards me more on the bottom hole as I chuckled. I was tired. It's been eight months. I've been in this white cell for eight months. Eight months of being held, hostage. Eight months of sleepless nights and tiring days. Eight nights of trays of disgusting food being kicked to me. Eight months missing my best friend.

"They said that if you don't eat, they won't let you out." I let out a chuckle, laying down on the hard bed, closing my eyes.

"It's been eight months and you think they will ever let me out? Bold of you to think that they trust me." I was there because they didn't want me, but they wanted Five. They wanted him to work for them but not me. So what's better than to lock me up for eight fucking months.

"I don't know about that," I hear the guard grunt. "The Handler wants to hold a meeting with you in thirty minutes." My eyes widened, sitting up. I shift myself to face the guard who still didn't falter his eyes.

"What?" I softly asked.

"You can't tell them I told you," He says with his monotone voice. "But they're planning on letting you out," Holy shit. An insidious smile crept up my face as the guard looked down at the food on the floor. "Eat up."

"Hello, Alina," I hear. I look up to see the infamous Handler standing behind the cell. Her crazy dress falling perfectly, keys in hand. She slowly slips one of the keys in the lock, jamming it vigorously. "Long time no see."

"It's been a week." I flatly say.

"Glad you've been keeping track," She then unlocks the door, sliding the bars open. She smiles at me widely as I stood up, afraid. "Come on out." She invited me out of the cell as I slowly walked towards her.

"Am I free?" I stammered as she gave me an innocent smile.

"Come on this way," She said, walking towards the black door. I followed her as she opened the door to reveal a small hallway, leading into a crowd of noise. We start to walk away, making sure the door to my cell was closed. "Five has been doing a good amount of work," I ignored her statement. "Surprised he hasn't gone all insane without you," We then stop in front of another black door as she opened it to reveal a small office. She then walks in, sitting behind the table as she gestured for me to sit down at one of the empty chairs. "He misses you, dearly," She smirks. "He still believes you're on a long mission."

"You guys are monsters." I gritted through my teeth, clawing the white dress I was in.

"We only want the best for the world."

"The apocalypse happened because of you." I hissed at her.

"I have invited you here to make a deal," She said, ignoring my previous statement. "We want you to work for us." She grins, intertwining her fingers together.

"Why would I want to do that?" I asked, tilting my head.

"This is necessary for your freedom, Miss Lindemann." She sighs, making me shift in my seat.

"What?"

"In exchange for your valuable work, we can set you free from the prison." I look up at the lady, ready to slap her. But I didn't. I realized this was my chance to feel free. Somewhat. This was my chance to fill the void in my mind. This was my chance to run away from the oblivion that has been with me for these long months.

"What do I have to do?"

"We need more assassins." She smacks her lips together as I looked at her in complete confusion.

"No way." I chuckled.

"If you say so." She shrugs, about to stand up but I stopped her.

"Wait," She slowly sits back down, carrying a smug look as I looked down at my hands. "I will be free?" I asked again, she nodded. "I will see Five?"

"Tsk, tsk," She leans in closer, leaning at the table. "Of course," She raises an eyebrow. "One condition," She holds up a finger, twirling it around for a second, then dropping it. "You cannot mention the prison," I knew exactly what they were doing. "If you do, both of you will simply die."

I felt uncomfortable. With these new slick, black, leathered clothing. I was finally trusted by the Commission. Finally.

They trusted me to walk around their building without doing anything. They trusted me and I knew that I was going to take advantage of that.

I was looking for my Number Five. The one I haven't seen in eight months. The one I have to tell a faux story to. The one I have to lie to.

I walk down the hall of bedrooms, looking for the one marked 'Five Hargreeves'. Then I finally found it. I knock on the door, wishing he was behind it. It took a while until someone finally opened the door. And it was certainly Number Five. He didn't look like he aged. Besides the clean beard. I smile profoundly at the man as he furrowed his eyebrows.

"Al." I hear his soft voice say. I suddenly attack him with a hug, as I feel him hug back. I tightened my grip on him, not wanting to let go. And I felt the same for him. I slowly pulled away as I see his eyes softened at the sight of me.

"I've missed you." I sighed, him slowly inviting me inside his small room.

"I've missed you too. How was your mission?" Of course, he asked about it.

"It was good. Tiring." I sighed.

"How long was it for you?" Right, I forgot about the time changes when time traveling.

"About a month and a half." I sighed as he widened his green eyes. The ones I missed so badly. I hated lying to him. But I didn't need him dead.

"Five, this is a bad idea." I tell the boy, though he didn't listen.

"You always say that." He rolls his eyes, huffing a puff of air.

"Because it always is."

[This was so short but idc. This is a flashback btw. Next chapter will be much longer. Also who got the reference at the end?]