chapter nineteen

"I try to be patient but

I'm hurting deep inside."

Instead of supervising my best friend and his brother, I made an excuse to go get water. Though I only wanted to see Klaus. I walk to him as he sat on the couch, murmuring words until he sees me.

"Talking to yourself?" I smiled, standing in front of him, arms crossed.

"I'm talking to my brother." He sighs as I look around the room to see no sign of any of his brothers.

"Klaus, are you alright?" I asked as he chuckled, leaning back into the chair, nodding. He closes his eyes and then groans.

"Shut up, Ben!" He says. Ben, Number Six. The brother that died during a mission. I've heard about him. "Ben says hi." Klaus scoffed.

"Tell him I said hi back." I smiled at Klaus who was just relaxing on the couch.

"Ben just smiled at you."

"Tell him that it's a pleasure finally meeting him." Klaus then gets up, sitting properly.

"He can hear you. You just can't hear him."

"Okay, then," I sighed, sitting down next to Klaus. "How are you?" I said, weirded out because I felt as if I was talking to nobody.

"He's been good."

"How does it feel to be dead?" I said as Klaus chuckled.

"Cold."

"Oh," I look down at my fingers. "Well, I'm gonna go check up on Five and Luther. I'll be upstairs if you need me." I stand up, smiling at Klaus who smiled back.

"Ben says bye."

"Bye," I muttered as I walked away from the living room. I walked up the stairs, getting closer to the familiar voices that belonged to Five and Luther. I walked down the hallway to see Five's door creak open as I leaned on the door frame, watching the two brothers. One with a gun and the other with a mannequin. "Interesting," I say, bringing the attention to me. "What happened here? He looks like he's about to cry." I point as Five as he gave me a death glare.

"He was planning on saving the world alone." Luther tells me as I smirked.

"Teamwork makes a dream work, baby boy." I pout, mockingly as he continued to look at the mannequin in despair.

"You're not alone anymore." Luther tells Five, ignoring my annoying remarks.

"There is one way," He looks towards Luther then at me. "But it's just that impossible."

"More impossible than what brought you back here?" In realization, my face dropped. He can't be serious.

"You can't be serious."

"What else is there to do, Alina?" He sighs.

We sat there in silence, waiting. Me in the backseat, sitting comfortably and the two brothers in the front seat, keeping a briefcase close to them. I only whistled as Five took off his seatbelt and Luther looking at me to smile. I only ignored it as I sat down properly, waiting.

"You know, I never enjoyed it," Five tells Luther as I just sat there. "The killing," I look at Five who's eyes were on Luther as I frowned. "I mean, I was- uh, good at my work and I... took pride in it but it never gave me pleasure," All those times he would come to me to tell me about his most recent mission. All those times he would call the Commission insane. All those times he wanted to leave. All those times he did as said. "I think it was all those years alone. Solitude could do funny things to the mind."