Part 13

Chinen walks across the familiar empty street. He recognizes it very well; for it is the road leading to his family mansion- or should he say Chinen's family mansion.

But strange, not a single living thing is seen.

He continues to walk, until he finally reaches Chinen's mansion main gate. He stood there for a while, looking at the big building in front of him.

The building that is always empty.

Suddenly the gate opens, allowing Chinen to enter the mansion's compound. His eyes are still lurking around, perhaps hoping to see some familiar faces soon. His steps finally end at the mansion's front door. Just like the gate, the door swing open by itself- letting the petite boy to enter.

"Papa Daiki?" Chinen calls. But nobody answers.

Frustrated, he sits on the antique-designed couch in the lounge. He wouldn't bother calling papa Yuya- for he knows that man is never home.

Never.

Chinen only met with papa Yuya every other month. Papa Yuya is a busy businessman, travelling around the world in his effort to expand his company to international level. Papa Daiki once told him, papa Yuya was living in poverty during his childhood. In addition to that, papa Yuya is also an orphan. That is why papa Yuya works so hard, for he promised papa Daiki that he wouldn't let his family to suffer like he did. And in order to keep the business going, papa Yuya has to sacrifice a lot of things, including his time for his family.

Papa Yuya never really shows any affection towards him, not until he tops in all his exams. Only at that time Chinen could see the proud smile on papa Yuya's face. Otherwise, he is generally strict.

But Chinen is not here to complain. Or rather-he can't complain, for he owes his life to these two people.

One day in the middle of spring about a year ago an anonymous letter was addressed to him, with a shocking content.

''Chinen' is not your real surname. It's time you know who you really are.'

Of course Chinen was surprised, but initially he took it as a naughty prank. However more letters came that he just couldn't really ignore them anymore.

'Takaki and Arioka are deceiving you.'

'Don't you want to know who your biological parents are?'

Triggered, Chinen begins to question the people around him. Unfortunately most of them gave a rather vague answer. He looked back at his photo album- sure enough there were no pictures of him when he was a baby. All of his photos were taken when he was 5 years-old and older. He had the hunch, but he wanted a conformation. He sneaked into papa Yuya's office one day, and everything became clear when he got a hold of the adoption's document.

Sadly- and cunningly enough- his original surname was deleted on the document, as well as the name of the orphanage that he came from, thus leaving him with one ultimate question.

What is the real surname for this Yuri?

Confused and sad, Chinen has been living with those for a year now. He did tell Yamada about it, saying that he wanted to confront his papas. But his best friend gave him a really good reply;

"True, you guys are not related by blood. But think about it this way- they raised you to become a well educated man, giving you shelter and food, but most importantly they love you more than anything else. A lot of orphans out there want to be in your place. My advice; treasure it. Dwelling more will only causes sorrow for both you and your dad. But of course, this is an outsider talking. I might not be saying this if it happened to me."