Knowing that I let Neil down pained me in ways I can't even describe. I look up to Neil and his opinion of me perhaps matters way too much but it matters, nonetheless.

"You did not inform me of a situation of great magnitude, a potentially dangerous, most definitely illegal one, that opened up the Center and Foundation to criminal and civil liabilities. What kind of message do you think that sent the girls, gentlemen?"

I looked down, too ashamed to face my mentor.

"So help me God, if you don't answer me in the next five seconds, Michael, I will strip this belt from my waist and teach you a very painful lesson."

Lifting my head slightly, I saw Neil's hand resting on his belt buckle and suddenly I found my voice. "You're absolutely right, sir. By not telling you what happened, the girls probably thought we didn't recognize your position of authority and in turn may have inferred a lack of respect on our part but I assure you it was strictly unintentional."

Neil withdrew his hand from his belt and sighed, appearing by his change in posture to have relaxed slightly. He turned his back to Shane and I, exhaled loudly, placed his hands on his hips and shook his head slowly before addressing us once again.

"I thought I had made myself crystal clear the last time I said that withholding information potentially vital to the continued success of my operations would not be tolerated but..." Neil turned to face us, looking us both in the eyes before continuing, "... apparently you boys could use a refresher course on obedience."

Unconsciously, I held my breath, awaiting Neil's disciplinary decree. Shane appeared stoic, yet not entirely unmoved by Neil's admonishment.

"Michael, you're going to scrub this kitchen clean, using only a toothbrush and a bottle of Pine-sol. I expect you to clean this floor on your hands and knees and it better be spotless. Shane, you'll be doing the same, only in the two bathrooms. I want the floors, toilets, sinks and showers so clean they sparkle. I also want every window washed and dried streak-free. When you're finished with that you may have new toothbrushes to clean my boat and its trailer. That includes the bow, hull, seats, console, carpeting, livewell, bilge, and outboard engine. Any questions, gentlemen?"

"No sir," we echoed in unison, knowing it was the only response Neil would accept.

"Good, now get to cleaning and, gentlemen, if your work isn't up to my standards, know there will be consequences."

After Neil gave us our supplies and left, I felt like I was finally able to breathe again. Shane and I spent the next ten and a half hours mostly on our hands and knees cleaning everything to Neil's specifications.

"Please remind me of this the next time I suggest we keep something from him. Would you, Shane?"

"Absofuckin'lutely, mate, without a doubt," Shane replied, without hesitation.

Later that night before everyone was ready to retire, Neil poured us each a whisky neat as we sat down to converse in front of a roaring fire.

"You did a nice job on the bathrooms, Donovan," Neil said, as he handed Shane his drink.

"Thank you. Unfortunately, it wasn't my first time cleaning with a toothbrush. It was a nice change of pace not having to use my own though," Shane smirked.

"You however, Michael, hopefully use more precision in the operating room than you did while cleaning my kitchen." Neil frowned at me. "We'll discuss the consequences for your lack of attention to detail tomorrow. Understood?"

"Yes sir," I replied sadly, looking intently at the glass tumbler in my hand. I would never admit this to anyone but I couldn't help feeling a little jealous of Shane for having earned Neil's praise.

The UnknownOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara