Epilogue: 1 year later

Começar do início

I felt like melting right there. Juno dragged me down the stairs and I regained my composure as everyone whom we passed bowed or curtsied. We made it midway through the room when I heard the cane rap again and the music resumed. I could see several of the upper-class women judging my new look, especially since I had not made an attempt to cover it. The sleeves were short and I felt exposed.

"I almost thought that this was your first ball from your expression up there," a voice chuckled from behind me.

I spun around to see Peter grinning from ear to ear.

"And I almost thought that this was your first time speaking to a crown princess," I retorted, despite how much I wanted to hug him.

"Please excuse me, your highness," he said with an over-exaggerated bow. I had missed his sarcasm.

"Much better," I said trying not to smile. "And as for my expression, I blame that on spending too much time with common folk, such as yourself."

I couldn't help but smile at his feigned hurt look, but then his expression changed and he almost looked nervous. A look I never associated with him.

"What would you say if I told you that I don't plan on being common folk much longer?"

"Do you plan to become a thief with Simeon instead?" I teased.

He rolled his eyes, but didn't say one of his usual come-backs. Then held out his hand. "Would you care to dance?"

I looked at him surprised. "I would love to."

A slow song had just begun and I looked at Peter questioningly. Usually he liked dancing to the faster songs.

"Is everything okay?"

He nodded, pulling me to him. "Everything's perfect."

I knew he wasn't telling me everything; he still looked nervous. But I didn't question him any longer. I just wanted to enjoy this.

"Where have you been these past few weeks?" I asked, not able to take the unnatural silence any longer.

So much for just enjoying it.

He cleared his throat. "Um... I was actually talking to your father and a few other noblemen so that I could earn back my title."

"Oh, Peter! That's wonderful."

"But that's not all," he said clearing his throat as he looked around the ballroom.

Why wasn't he looking at me? What else could it be? I didn't like the different scenarios that my mind was coming up with.

"What else?" I asked hesitantly.

"Your father has offered me... a place  here, but I worry it might take me away from you for a little while, but-"

"Take you away?" I asked and tripped over his feet. "I'm sorry! I just... I don't know."

Peter being gone for two weeks was hard enough, how could I survive him leaving even more? I couldn't stand it if he was gone, I needed him here. I needed him with me. 

I turned away from him, not wanting him to see the worry on my face. I wanted to be happy for him, I did. But I would much rather he stay a commoner and be with me than have a high position on my father's courts and be gone.

"Ariadne," he whispered, but I slipped away. Maneuvering myself through the people swirling around the ballroom floor. "Princess," he said following after me.