Chapter Twenty-Five and Epilogue - Best Man

I could hear the screaming from the crowd, Going Nowhere, Going Nowhere, Going Nowhere. They were chanting the name of the band in perfect unison.

The stage crew moved around me as I stood by the stage steps, in full costume, ready to walk up on to the stage. Ready to face my beginning.

I closed my eyes and remembered saying good bye to my parents. They had both cried as Jace and I readied ourselves to leave, bu I had known they would be fine. They were amazing parents, and they had given us their all. Once the pain of letting us fly wore off, they would have time for themselves again. Something they so desperately deserved.

"Promise me that you'll stay true to yourself Scarlett... there are people out there, that only want you for what you can give them. Promise me that you won't fall in to that trap." Mom yanked me in to a hug before I could answer.

"I promise Mom." I said in reply as I was squished in her arms. "I love you."

"You too honey."

She told Jace something similar, then hugged him for a full minute longer. Jace was her baby, the last to leave the nest.

"You're going to kill it kiddo." Dad smiled. "I'll be there next week at the New York concert, before you head overseas."

"We all will." Mom added.

Tears misted my eyes. I'd never really had to do a goodbye before. I didn't really want to have to do one again. They sucked.

I opened my eyes to the sound of Isla's voice.

"Hey, smile. I can't take your picture when you look like you're going to the dentist!" She shrieked.

I turned and smiled. She took a few photos then let the camera hand around her neck.

"I never said sorry for lying about Jay and I." She murmured with a sheepish smile. "I just... I hated seeing you so sad."

I smiled back, I understood. Xavier leaving had hit me hard, and she had done what she thought was best and lied about her and Jay breaking up. Love makes people do silly things sometimes... and Isla loved me. We were best friends. BFF's I think they're called in high school. Jay and Isla had fallen in love just like Xavier and I had. I was only sad they had to hide how happy they were together when they were apart.

"I told you, I don't care. I'm happy that you're happy."

She smiled and picked up her camera again. "I'm the happiest I've ever been. Especially since DJ hired me to be your photographer"

"You're a goof." I laughed.

Isla kept snapping, then stopped for a second to point behind me, I turned. Xavier was walking toward me, a huge grin on his face.

"You look like a rock star" He murmured rubbing his hands up and down my bare arms."Nervous?"

I nodded, looking down toward the ground. Xavier's hand caught my chin and brought it back up to align with his face. Our eyes connected.

"You were born to do this." he urged.

"Will you sing a song with me?"

"You go on in ten minutes. I won't learn it in time." he frowned.

"You already know the melody. I rewrote better man." I smiled, I loved the song, but hated the hurt behind the lyrics.

"When?"

"Last night, on the plane. When you were sleeping."

"You did?"

I pulled the lyrics I'd rewritten out of my pocket and handed them to him. "I rewrote it, with my own feelings, but keep the prose and gender of the song the same. I'm not being conceited... I don't think you're the best man cos of me... it's the opposite, In fact I-"