Chapter Five - Torment Me

Once he was gone, once I'd heard his car back out of my driveway, I feared I'd never see him again.

The thought both terrified and pained me.

At first I thought this 'connection' had been some weird kind of reaction because I thought Vax, the rock star, was sexy and maybe at first it was.

Attraction is a powerful thing, and I'd been attracted to Vax, the rock star, for years.

But then, from the moment he'd walked through the door at my parents, from the moment I'd realized who he was, he stopped being Vax, I only saw Xavier.

It was Xavier in the bathroom, it was Xavier who came to my work, it was Xavier who'd saved me from the weirdo in the club and it was Xavier who'd stayed with me all night, and it was Xavier, who a few minutes ago had made me weak at the knees.

But it was also Xavier that I didn't understand, I'd never understood, because he'd never let me in.

Not my type. He'd said it himself, he'd agreed with me. I wasn't his type, and I wasn't sure he was my type either, I wasn't sure I even had a 'type', but that didn't stop the thoughts I was having, it didn't stop how he made me feel.

Why couldn't any of this make more sense?

I stood up, my legs still felt like jelly, but I needed to clear my head and needed advice.

I walked across the floor into the kitchen. The phone was sitting on the table where I'd left it. I picked it up and dialed my parents number.

"Hey Scarlett, how are you hon" Mom's voice called down the phone "Are you feeling better?"

"Oh, uh yeah. Great" I lied, I felt worse than I had the other night when I had left dinner, but now it was for a completely different reason.

"Scarlett" Mom warned softly. "I know you better than that. What's up?"

"I'm confused." I whispered.

"About?"

"Can I come over?" I replied "I'd rather talk about it in person"

"You don't have to ask. Dad is home too, he'd love to see you. Maybe we could help?"

"I kind of need a ride, My car is at Isla's" I said feeling sheepish. Hopefully she didn't ask why. Mom didn't need to know I'd been drinking. Even at 23 explaining a night of drinking and debauchery was not something I wanted to do.

"Of course, I'll come now. Maybe you could bring a bag and stay for the night?"

"Aren't I a little old for sleepovers?" I questioned with a smile.

"One is never to old for sleepovers. In fact let's make it a group thing. Toni is in town still, and I know you two didn't really get to catch up at dinner"

I frowned, that night had been so strange that I didn't even remember seeing Toni at all. Maybe a girls night would be good for me. The distraction from all these confusing emotions sounded like bliss.

"alright then" I conceded.

After we hung up I left enough food for my cats, who were meowing heartily.

It took me a couple of minutes to pack a bag and once I was done I went and sat on the door step to wait. When she arrived I stood up, checked that I'd locked the door and almost ran to the car. With each step I took, my heart felt a little bit less constricted and the embrace Xavier and I had shared didn't seem so vivid in my mind anymore. I couldn't tell if I was happy or sad.

"Hey, we're not running a race" Mom laughed as she took my backpack from me.

I shrugged brushed past her. I looked back at the house and sighed. The memories of last night and this morning were still so raw that if she had stepped inside my house, I was actually scared the atmosphere would exude the story like a movie, Like it had been in my head.