Chapter Ten - Guilty Comfort

When I went back to work on Tuesday I was asked about Xavier, A lot. I was asked about the band and if I could talk them in to a private performance. Wink wink, Nudge nudge. I ignored it for the most part, but found it kind of amusing at the same time.

The rest of the week flew by. Xavier dropped by to give me a CD copy of my song and we talked like nothing had ever happened between us. So by the time Friday rolled around I was comfortable with my decision to go on the date with Noah as planned.

Xavier had sourced us backstage passes, So I knew the two would meet. I wasn't sure how it would go. They were such different people.

Noah picked me up around 8pm and we headed to the arena.

"So this band, I hear they're known for partying hard" Noah exclaimed as he drove down my unusually dark street. The street lights were out.

"I guess so. Although, I don't think it's as sordid as the media spins it" I replied, maybe once upon a time the media had been right, but it didn't seem that way anymore.

"well, I hope they're good."

"They're better than good. I promise"

We found a park close to the arena and began walking to the gates. We'd left early to secure spots in front of the stage and Our passes gave us early access.

Once we were inside we walked to the front of the stage.

The arena filled up quickly once the doors opened to the wider public. The concert atmosphere didn't lend to too much talking. People bustling about, shouting, smoking weed, it was all a bit hectic. Finally Xavier and the guys walked out on to the stage. I figured Xavier wouldn't see me. I knew all to well that stage lights mostly drowned out the audience, but as he walked to his mic with his guitar in hand he looked directly at me and smiled. I had to pinch myself to stop the fangirl living inside of me from swooning.

Right now he was Vax. He was in his element and he knew it. I smiled back.

I felt Noah lean in to me, his mouth so close to my ear, I could feel his lips brush them as he spoke.

"He's the guy from the car the other night" he exclaimed.

"Uh, my friend. Yeah" I replied as I turned my head and looked up at him.

"Right" Noah exclaimed, His tone told me he didn't believe me as his eyes studied me critically.

"Alright LA! Whose ready to rock!" Xavier screamed into the mic, his impeccable timing caused Noah's intense stare to move back to the stage and away from me. I sighed with relief as the arena went even crazier than I thought was humanly possible.

"Well, We've got a big show for you tonight and a big surprise for an old friend"

My stomach lurched. I hoped I wasn't the friend, but considering Xavier was already looking back at me, I knew I wouldn't be so lucky.

The set started strong, with their most explosive tracks. Fast paced angry tracks. The earlier stuff. The guys tore up the stage, and it was amazing to watch.

Part of me wanted to jump the gate dividing us and get up there with them. I wasn't ready to out myself just like that though, my mom couldn't find out I'd lied all this time, via the grapevine. I'd have to tell her, and my dad when the time was right.

"Alright, I have this friend. She's the kind of girl you spend your whole life wanting to know. She's electric, and smart, and gorgeous, but she doesn't even know it."

He looked down at me. "This song was written for you"

I felt Noah place his arm around my waist and he huffed loudly. Xavier began the melody. He was singing 'Not Alone'. My stomach lurched again. Except this time, vomiting was an actual possibility. He'd written a song about me, three years ago. I'd been in his thoughts way back then?