Chapter Eleven - The Truth

Speaking to mom always made me feel better. She had a way with words, a way to make me feel at ease, even if she didn't really know what the problem was. I'd called her for that comfort, but somehow, for the first time ever, when we began to talk about Noah I clammed up.

"Well, I want to meet this boyfriend! It's a big thing for you. Is he the guy?" Mom questioned. I was glad she wasn't in front of me, because my face and heart didn't agree with the answer I gave her.

"Yes. Noah is the guy I was talking to you about mom" I replied.

I hadn't even met him when I had first talked to her, but that didn't matter, she didn't know that.

"Well Your father and I insist. Bring him over tonight, we were having a big gathering anyway, it wouldn't be as bad as a small intimate dinner with just your father, Jace and I."

I frowned, she had a point. Both Dad and Jace were incredibly protective of me. They'd interrogate Noah and probably scare him off if we went to a small dinner. But on the other hand, big gathering meant everyone. Including Xavier. I just wasn't sure I could face him after last night.

"Will uh... Will Xavier be there?"

"All the guys are coming. Your father insisted in fact."

Dammit. I could hardly decline. It would look strange, and my mom wasn't a stupid woman. She was smart and strong, the attributes I loved so much in her were the very reason I couldn't embellish my lie any further to get out of the dinner. She'd click.

"Okay. I'll bring him" I replied somewhat reluctantly.

"Wonderful. See you later on okay hon?"

"Bye mom"

I called Noah after my mom. He sounded really excited to meet my parents. Kept saying how he was so happy that I felt like we were meant to be like he did. Saying that meeting the parents is a big thing in a relationship. It was intense, He was unafraid to tell me how he truly felt, but I just couldn't return the gesture, not yet... maybe not ever.

We arranged to meet there, because I wanted to head over early. I needed to head over early

I went over at lunch time, I'd wanted to see my parents, to remind myself that love exists. I watched them as they talked, and laughed. The sheer joy they brought each other even after all these years was astounding. Watching them was like watching a real life Rom-com.

Aside from their never ending PDA's they always gave me great advice and right now I needed advice.

"Someone I care about is in trouble" I said softly as mom walked over to the table with a hot cup of coffee. She placed it down in front of me and sat down.

"What kind of trouble."

"He's messed up emotionally." I murmured

"Context?" Dad asked as he walked across to the table.

"His girlfriend died while the car they were driving got crashed into. He blames himself and wonders why it wasn't him." I whispered.

Dad took mom's hand and looked up at me. "That's some pretty heavy stuff. Guilt is a hard thing to get past. Your mom imparted this advice on me years ago when I blamed myself for something I didn't do. She told me that focusing on the what if's will only ever eat away at you."

"Is this about your boyfriend? Noah?" Mom asked her voice low and concerned

I shook my head and looked back down at the table. "No"

I heard mom's sharp intake of breath, "Honey, the only thing you can truly do is listen. He'll begin to heal himself when the time is right."

It was at that moment that I heard the door fling open. "Uh Nick, we've got he gazebo Mom asked me to drop by" Xaviers voice called out.