Chapter Seven - Tightly Wired

I didn't have a chance to think before my phone began ringing, I picked it up, it was Isla.

"Hey"

"So, I've given you a few hours now. I could tell you weren't in the mood last night, what happened?"

I frowned, I was less in the mood to talk about all of this now, than I had been last night. She was my best friend though, and my silence would only make her come over and make me tell her in person.

"It's a long story that ends with Xavier being Xavier." I replied

"Is he being a pig again?"

"No, the story doesn't matter. I think we're friends now. I hope we still are." That would have to wait. I couldn't face him right now.

"Okay, cool." She exclaimed then paused. "So why do you sound so sad?"

"I'm not sad" I lied, and not convincingly. "You know how you said you wanted to set me up with someone?"

"Uh... yeah?"

I had to move on from this obsession I was building for Xavier. It wasn't going to happen, and dwelling on it would hurt me more than I need to let it. But his arrival in to my life, had shown me I could let go, and try new things. His rejection had hurt, but I was okay.

"I think I'm ready"

Isla didn't say anything for a full minute, and I began to wonder if she'd died in shock.

"Oh, of course. When. I have this guy I think would be perfect for you" She sounded every bit as shocked as I had expected her to be, but I knew she was hardly going to question it either, she had been on my case since we'd met.

"You know me Isla, I don't have a social life."

"Alright, well I'll set it up and let you know the details." She squealed with excitement "I guess this means Xavier is definitely out of the picture?" She added, her tone dropping slightly.

"He was never in the picture Isla. I was drunk and undressed myself in front of him. It's a rookie mistake."

"Mm hmm" She mused. "Well, just so you know, this guy I am setting you up with is a sweetheart. He's an artist and has just finished a double major in art history and art. He's gorgeous to boot. Ugh, like the kind of gorgeous you look at and wonder how perfection like him even exists" Isla spoke whimsically.

"So why aren't you dating him then?" I laughed.

"He's not my type. Besides, I am emotionally unavailable." She replied. "And this about you, not me."

We talked for another 15 minutes and by the time we hung up I was legitimately excited about the prospect of dating. Considering I'd only mentioned it to avoid explaining the whole situation I was surprised.

I didn't expect that she'd call me back less than half an hour later though.

"Uh hi?"

"Tonight? 7pm he'll pick you up from yours" Isla spoke strongly, giving me little option to decline

"What?"

"Noah, the artist.." Isla exclaimed.

"Oh, wow. You work fast. Um, tonight" I looked down at the bowl of Cheetos I'd recovered from the kitchen. I'd planned on having a date with them and the tv.

No, I wouldn't wuss out. I was going to go all in. I took a deep breath and steeled myself.

"What should I wear?" I said finally, pulling at same clothes I'd been wearing all day. The cheeto dust decorated ones.