Chapter Sixteen - Goodbye Vax

"Yes DJ. Yeah, it's important." Xavier paced the floor, as he spoke to DJ on the phone.

"Just come here now, and we'll talk."

"No, I'm not leaving the band." he said dramatically.

"Scarlett's place. It's a long story." he paused and smiled at me.

"See you soon."

Xavier hung up and smiled. "You sure about this?"

I nodded and walked over to Xavier.

"I'm nervous." I admitted as I slipped my hands in to his.

"Don't be, we already know DJ loves your music."

"I'm more nervous about admitting it's me."

Xavier smiled, "Speaking from experience, admitting something like this, isn't as scary as you'd think."

DJ arrived a little over an hour later. He knocked on the door and Xavier brought him inside.

"If this is about you two being in a relationship, I'm happy to keep it on the down low... You probably could have just said it over the phone"

Xavier laughed and shook his head. "Thanks for that. But that's not what this is about"

DJ shrugged and looked over at me and bit his lip

"Okay.. then color me confused."

Xavier looked at me then smiled mischievously. "Wait right here."

Xavier ran outside and left DJ and I sitting at the table in uncomfortable silence.

"Your parents will understand." he said with a supportive smile.

"About?" My heart thumped, did he already know it was me?

"Xavier and you. In fact I think your Mom and Janie have been entertaining the idea since you were both born." He laughed.

I laughed and then nodded, he was right. Our families would be fine with us, they'd be happy even. Me lying for the past decade or so, me thinking about leaving my job, me thinking about going on tour with a rock band was the part I wasn't so sure they'd be okay with.

Xavier returned holding DJ's guitar case. I watched DJ as his eyes narrowed. He shook his head and shot Xavier a confused look as he opened the case. The look of confusion only intensified when Xavier handed me the guitar.

He bent down and pressed his lips against my forehead. "Relax."

I slid my fingers over the frets and pulled the pick out from beneath the strings, I closed my eyes let out a shaky breath and started my song. The one DJ had heard, the one he'd loved. I didn't want to look at him, I didn't want to see his reaction, so my eyes stayed firmly closed.

Once the words fell from my mouth I forgot where I was. The music took over and my fear flew away. I could have been singing in a packed out arena and it wouldn't have mattered. I was as free as a bird. When I finished I slowly let my eyes open, but kept my gaze on the floor.

"Scarlett." DJ whispered. "I thought... you said..."

I looked up finally and took in DJ's face. He was clearly shocked, but he was also still smiling, wide.

"I didn't want my whole life under scrutiny. It was bad enough being the daughter and sister of mega rock stars, I worked hard to distance myself from that world. I thought I was doing the right thing for me. A decision I thought I knew was the right one after high school.."

DJ nodded. "What changed your mind."

I looked at Xavier and smiled "Trying to keep my feelings for Xavier a secret."