Chapter Fourteen - Dear Life.

When I woke the next morning I was still dressed, I'd flopped on my bed and crashed out as soon as my head had hit the pillow. Despite the lack of blankets I'd managed to sleep amazingly well.

Last night had actually happened. Like a teenage girl I raised my hands to my face and giggled. I dug my phone from my pocket and flicked it on.

Morning you. Miss u. coffee later. I'll bring Cheetos? - X

Actually I can't. Things to take care of. Miss u too- S

Oh. okay. Well I should probably do some work anyway. - X

ily – S

ily2 – X

I shoved my phone back in my pocket and sat up. Telling him about Noah being back tonight would only make him worry. Besides, it would be a nice surprise to tell him that nothing was holding us back earlier than expected.

I left the bedroom and walked down to the kitchen. I picked up the mail from the day before. I hadn't had a chance to look at any of it yet. It was depressing that only one was hand addressed, the rest were bills. I chucked them aside and opened the personal letter.

Dear Ms Jackson.

The apple of your fathers eye you've always been.

You do realize that like a dead body, apples rot.

The Jackson empire will end, starting with you.

Tick tock.

I screwed up the piece of paper and threw it on the bench top. I'd never received a death threat, or anything vaguely resembling one. My body shook as I pulled my phone from my pocket and called Xavier.

"Hey... Whats up" his voice soothed me a little, but not enough. I needed him here.

"I..I..I.." The words I wanted to say would form, Instead I sat stuttering as my emotions caused me to fall to pieces.

"Scarlett" Xavier exclaimed, I could hear the worry in his voice.

Tears streamed down my cheeks, I sobbed down the phone line. Xavier was talking but I wasn't listening. Who the hell wanted to end my family and why?

"I'm on my way"

"Okay" I sobbed.

At that moment there was a knock at the door. I walked gingerly across the floor and placed my hand over the handle.
"whose there?" I whispered

"Noah"

"Noah" I breathed out, nervously. He was early.

"Noah?" Xavier called out down the phone line, his voice was more frantic than mine.

"I'll call you back." I murmured before shutting my phone off. I wiped the tears from my eyes, willing my emotions to get a hold of themselves before I opened the door. Noah stood on the other side, his perfect smile gleamed at me. This was going to be hard. I was going to break that smile.

"Are you okay, you've been crying." Noah said softly, he stepped inside the door and placed a hand on my shoulder. I nodded, but I was far from fine, that note had really unsettled me. But I had to forget about that for now.

I turned and walked into the kitchen, Noah followed closely behind me.

"You came home early" I remarked as I sat down, successfully avoiding the kiss he leaned in to give me when I turned around to sit.

"I missed you." He whispered, as he sat beside me, his hand enveloped mine. The contact made me tense up, It felt so wrong now.

"Noah..." I replied as I slowly pulled my hand from his. "We need to talk about something"