Chapter Twelve - Love You

"I'm in a bind Scarlett. The talent I'd booked for the shoot got offered something paying more. I need you" Isla exclaimed. She sounded genuinely stressed out. Something that wasn't a very regular occurrence for her. Not to mention she'd called me at 8am on a Sunday, the time I usually reserved for sleeping.

"Me?" I choked back sleepily shifting in the bed, still mulling over the fact she'd asked me to be a model for her.

"and a guy." She added.

"a guy?" I gulped.

"It's an abstract shoot. I need two people."

"I don't know, I mean...."

"Come on, I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate"

"Fine.... god." I croaked, I wasn't sure what this photo shoot would entail though, and the thought alone scared me.

"I asked Jay, but he's busy today laying down his part of songs. Apparently Xavier is still in hiding. I know he hasn't talked to you in a while, but maybe it's worth a shot?" She suggested.

I frowned, I wasn't sure what was Xaviers problem. After the dinner he'd just shut off and wouldn't talk to me. It had hurt that he wouldn't take my calls. Noah had said I was better off without him. "friends like Xavier are noxious weeds. Only around when they want something" He'd said.

Only, Xavier wasn't like that. I knew he wasn't. Something else was going on.

"Fine. I'll call him one last time Isla, but, don't hold your breath." I groaned back. Surprised she had suggested him, she was hardly his biggest fan.

"Call me back straight after, then we can arrange to meet!" She exclaimed, sounding like all her Christmases were about to come at once.

I hung up the phone and dialed Xaviers number. It rang, then surprisingly he answered.

"I'm sorry" He said before I could I could get a word out.

"You should be. We have that great talk, I think everything is fine and then you just go cold. I'm sick of it." I replied, momentarily forgetting why I was calling.

"I know. I'm going to try really hard not to be a complete douche anymore?" he replied.

"It'll be a stretch, you sure you're up for the challenge?" I teased back, I felt a smile on my face and a blush in my cheek. God I was easy.

"I need to be."

"Okay, well in that case, Isla needs our help, and if we don't help her it would be pretty douche-like of us both."

"I see what you did there."

"Just come pick me up okay?"

"Fine. I'll be there soon."

I hung up and called Isla back, to say she was happy was a bit of an understatement. She screamed so loud down the phone line that it almost deafened me. She told us to come down to a park out in the middle of nowhere that she'd rented from the owner for the day. She had all the props ready to go. She just needed us.

When Xavier arrived I resisted the urge to hug him, I wanted to feel his arms around me, I felt so safe there. I couldn't though, girls with boyfriends didn't hug boys... not according to Noah anyway.

We drove to the park Isla had directed us to.

As we walked toward her Xavier finally asked me what it was we were supposed to help with.

"Her models dropped out"

"models... we're going to be stand in models?" He replied his voice dripped with disbelief