Page Forty-Two

Gale

District Thirteen is a hive of activity.

The corridors are buzzing with people going to and from their business, carrying out their hectic schedules, following fresh orders that come in by the dozen. Some are working in the labs, some are preparing food rations, and now, some are producing a new weapon - all under my command.

I stand gazing over the workers, recalling the day I did this exact same routine in District Two not o long ago. My hands knotted are behind my back. and I tighten them over and over again, out of habit. But I don't need to wake myself up anymore. Gazing across the room, I see Katniss. She talk to President Coin and is dressed in all black, her hair in her signature braid, a smile on her face that is aimed at me. We are a team again, and she is mine, and together, with the help of District Thirteen and Alma Junior, we will defeat the Capitol all over again.

Only, I am working behind Katniss's back. She knows I'm in charge of weaponry as it was the obvious choice, with my experience of running Mockingjay Firearms. But she doesn't know my secret weapon. If I tell her, she'll surely never speak to me again. But it will save our lives.

"Mr. Hawthorne, sir!" a voice calls, a voice that matches that phrase so familiarly, my heart clenches. I turn to see Meld striding towards me, followed by a handful of my colleagues from District Two. They are battered and bruised, but they are alive, and I'm so thankful. We embrace, swiftly, professionally, glad to see familiar faces, and immediately get down to work.

"We are attacking the Capitol," I say, my authoritive tone returning like a gut instinct I never let go of. "Soon. Very soon. That's why I need your help."

We discuss tactics, and my team and I are immediately of the one mind about our mission. They agree with my plan, but I can see hesitance on some faces. This secret weapon is a major risk for me - it could save my life, or destroy it all over again. "This is why I need you all to work with me, to keep this a secret from Katniss, but to find .... it..... as soon as possible. Are you with me?" I ask them. There are hushed whispers among the group, and Meld warns me against the consequences, but it is a risk I have to take. If I don't, Katniss will be the Mockingjay, and this time, I am certain she won't survive.

"Can you get it?" I say again, and this time, feverent nods respond. "Then go!" 

My team disperse, scurrying to and fro, and my heart starts to race. This plan goes against every moral bone in my body, but there is nothing else I can do in such a short amount of time. We aren't even sure when we are attacking the Capitol, or when the Games will start. The televised Reaping is the only clue we have that they actually exist.

Suddenly, as if reading my mind, the ArchivePlayers light up. It is a mandatory public broadcast. President Coin's face fills the screen, a malicious smile reminiscent of Snow's.

"Panem, let me present to you, the New Hunger Games," he announces with malice. "May the odds be ever in your favour."

That's it. It's all we get. For now. We don't even know where the Arena is, and the Tributes have not been named yet. There's no saving them now, anyway. 24 lives will be lost, regardless. Because my plan will wipe all of Panem out. Twice.

"President Coin! M'aam!" a worker screeches suddenly, fleeing across the room to where Alma and Katniss stand, pale. "They're coming!" the worker pants, sweat dripping down her forehead. "They're coming here."

"Who are?" Alma asks sternly, but I can see the dread in her expression.

"The New Capitol," the workers cries, her face paling. "This is the Arena. The New Hunger Games are coming to District Thirteen."

Chaos erupts.