Page Thirty-Eight

President Coin

"No, no, no!" I growl, tossing something hard and round at the Gamemaker. These men, they've got it all wrong. Even with the new technology surrounding us, even with their expertise and skill, they can't do it right. They simply do not have the correct levels of malice it takes to create a new Arena. Even under my guidance. "Move the fire trench to the right. The right."

"But sir, then there's no way the Tributes can escape," one man pipes up. He's so young, so innocent, barely a child during the Rebellion, I'd guess. He doesn't see the point. We're creating an area in the map that traps any Tribute that tries to get to the only water supply but surrouding the exits by fire trenches. It's evil, it's unfair, and it's ingenious. But this boy doesn't see it. 

With the press of a button, he's gone, his seat whirling into the underground tunnels beneath the control room. When I fire someone, I do it in style. It helps the others to remember who's in charge; motivates them. It's a trick I learned from the late President Snow, my idol. I twiddle the white rose on my lapel. hoping I'm making him proud, wherever his soul may lie, and praying he forgives me for being the offspring of the abomination that is my mother. I don't care where she lies now.

"You! With the green hair! Move that fire trench to the right!" I snap, and my worker does so. I love the power, the energy. But my eyes are burning from the incandescent white lights that cover the room. All around me is ticking and beeping, the clicking and clacking of computers and programmers. I had no idea that creating the Hunger Games Arena was such a huge task. But this must be the best Arena ever made.

"Sir," a worker raises his hand. "Question. Why are there only eleven starting plates? How many Tributes is there going to be?"

I smile wickedly. "Twelve, as usual, Gregory. But Onothera Mellark will be entering from a different, more specialised unit. Remember everyone, she is our special, special candidate this year."

Everyone nods and murmurs, and my smile widens.

This will be the best Hunger Games yet.